A question on PLANT EXTRACTIONS.

• Thread starter Rylynn97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary, the investigatory project titled "The Antimicrobial Effect of Helianthus annuus on Escherichia Coli" requires the use of H. annuus extracts for a microbial assay. Water extract is recommended as it is similar to the growth media, while other types of extracts may introduce confounding variables. As for determining the phytochemicals in H. annuus that can destroy E. coli, the list of phytochemicals from the flower can be examined and their uses researched to identify potential candidates. Experimentation may be necessary to confirm their effectiveness against E. coli.
Rylynn97
Our investigatory project for this year is entitled "The Antimicrobial Effect of Helianthus annuus on Escherichia Coli". I will be needing H. annuus extracts. I understand that there are a number of types of extracts and extraction methodologies. Which type of extract must be used for microbial assay? And which methodology should be used? A link would be very helpful ^___^. Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A plant extract with water is most suitable since it is most like your growth media. If you were to extract with alcohol or hexane, for example, the effect of the solvent on the growth of E. coli would have to be controlled for.

Feel free to link to this site if you want to!:biggrin:

Oh I see =D. Thank you so much! ^___^

I have another related questions... umm... among our subproblems is this: "Determine the phytochemicals in H. annuus that can destroy the bacteria E. coli." I found a list of the flower's phytochemicals (http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/plantdisp.xsql?taxon=466) but I have no idea what to do with it o__O. How must I proceed to answer this question? Is there some sort of experimentation involved?

EDIT: Oh! Wait a bit. Am I supposed to look at the phytochemicals one by one, and then look at their uses? Hmm... What can kill E. coli?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to A question on PLANT EXTRACTIONS.

What are plant extractions?

Plant extractions refer to the process of obtaining useful components from plants, such as oils, flavors, and medicinal compounds, through various techniques such as distillation, pressing, or solvent extraction.

Why are plant extractions important?

Plant extractions have a wide range of applications in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, perfumery, and agriculture. They allow us to harness the beneficial compounds found in plants for various purposes.

What methods are used for plant extractions?

There are several methods used for plant extractions, including steam distillation, solvent extraction, maceration, and expression. The choice of method depends on the properties of the plant and the desired end product.

What are the benefits of using plant extractions?

Plant extractions offer numerous benefits, such as being more natural and environmentally friendly compared to synthetic alternatives. They also often have unique and complex chemical compositions that make them valuable for various purposes.

Are there any risks associated with plant extractions?

Like any other scientific process, plant extractions come with some risks, such as the potential for exposure to toxic chemicals during the extraction process. It is crucial to follow proper safety precautions and use high-quality equipment to minimize these risks.