Should I learn trig substitution on my own or wait until calculus 3?

• Thread starter vinnie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, some courses may not have time to cover trigonometric substitution in Calculus 2, but it is typically taught in this course. It may be necessary to learn it on your own, but it is not a difficult concept to self-teach. It involves applying the Pythagorean theorem and substituting based on the relationship of variables and expressions on a triangle. Some familiarity with trig identities is helpful, but not necessary. It is also recommended to learn integration by partial fractions, as it is often included near trig substitution in textbooks. Overall, trigonometric substitution can be learned in a few hours and is usually covered in the first sections of Calculus 2 along with other basic integration techniques.
vinnie
I am in calc 2 right now, and we were told we will not have time to learn trigonmetric substitution. There is a section on it in the single variable book we are using. Is trig sub usually taught in calculus 3 or should I learn it on my own? Is it a difficult concept to self-teach?

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned it in high school. Its not a difficult concept to learn, but it does take some memorization and a lot of practice in order to recognize the tricks that some problems will have.

Calc 2 is the typical place. Learn it over the summer. It won't be done in calc 3.

vinnie said:
I am in calc 2 right now, and we were told we will not have time to learn trigonmetric substitution. There is a section on it in the single variable book we are using. Is trig sub usually taught in calculus 3 or should I learn it on my own? Is it a difficult concept to self-teach?

You will not have time to learn it in your Calculus 2 course? NONSENSE! Learn it on your own. What kind of Calculus 2 course are you in? If an engineering or mathematics track course, then you are being cheated.

Basically, you are applying the pythagorean theorem and substituting from the relationship of variables and expressions based on the labeling which can be done on the triangle. This does not require much memorization, or nearly none.

I learned Trig Sub in Calculus II. It's really something you can cover in a few hours on your own. Make sure you learn Integration by Partial Fractions too (often included near Trig Sub in textbooks - in the sections on alternative integration techniques). If you know your Trig identities from Pre-Calculus, Trig-Sub will be a very logical method.

Last edited:
I've seen programs that attempt to cover basic integration techniques (substitution, by parts, trig substitution) in the last weeks of Calc I. It is usually blocked in with the first sections of calc II (see above, along with basic area and volume integration).

As everyone else has said, it's mostly just basic memorization of some trig identities. Even with a few basic identities, you can usually u-substitute your way through the problem.

1. When is trigonometric substitution typically taught in math curriculum?

Trigonometric substitution is usually taught in high school or early college level math courses, such as Algebra 2 or Calculus 2.

2. Why is trigonometric substitution important to learn?

Trigonometric substitution is essential for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions, which are commonly used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Is it difficult to learn trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution can be challenging at first, but with practice and understanding of basic trigonometric identities, it can become easier to grasp.

4. How is trigonometric substitution applied in real-world situations?

Trigonometric substitution is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the area under curves in physics and finding optimal solutions in economics.

5. Are there any tricks or tips for mastering trigonometric substitution?

One helpful tip for mastering trigonometric substitution is to memorize common trigonometric identities and practice applying them to different problems. Additionally, understanding the geometric interpretations of trigonometric functions can aid in visualizing the substitution process.