Prove a^m = a^{m-\phi(m)} mod m

• Thread starter oszust001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove the equation a^m \equiv a^{m-\phi(m)} mod m, where a and m are relatively prime, you can use the fact that a^{phi(m)}=1 (mod m). This can be proven by first showing it for primes, then for powers of primes, and finally by induction on m. It is also important to know the multiplicative properties of phi and the fact that if x = 1 mod a, x = 1 mod b, then x = 1 mod ab when a and b are relatively prime. This holds true for all numbers, not just principal numbers.
oszust001
How to proof that equation?
a^m [tex]\equiv[/tex] a^{m-\phi(m)} mod m ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to assume that a and m are relatively prime, right? If not, then a = 2 and m = 6 is a counterexample.

Hint: Do you know any formulas involving congruences and the phi function?

By modulo arithmetic this is equivalent to a^{phi(m)}=1 (mod m) where I have assumed that a and m are relatively prime. This result is well-known, but if you want to prove it (and I suggest you to do this) I would suggest that you

1) prove it for primes (fermats little)
2) prove it for powers of primes (use 1) + binomial formula)
3) prove it by induction on m (split up m in relatively prime factors, if its not possible use 2) )

You should be familiar with the multiplicative properties of phi. It is also essential that you know the fact that if x = 1 mod a, x = 1 mod b, then x = 1 mod ab whenever a and b are relatively prime. This is easily verified.

alternatively you could follow the same lines as in the proof of fermats little.

Last edited:
Ok but what can I say for nonprincipal numers? how can I show that the equation has sens for every numbers not only for principal

To prove this equation, we can use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic which states that any integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. We can also use the Euler's totient function, denoted as φ(m), which gives the number of positive integers that are less than m and relatively prime to it.

First, we can write a^m as a product of its prime factors, where each factor is raised to the power of m. So, we have a^m = (p_1^{m_1})(p_2^{m_2})...(p_k^{m_k}), where p_i are prime numbers and m_i are their respective powers.

Next, we can use the property of Euler's totient function which states that if a and m are relatively prime, then a^φ(m) ≡ 1 (mod m). This means that if we raise a to the power of φ(m), the result will be congruent to 1 (mod m).

Now, we can rewrite the equation a^m ≡ a^{m-\phi(m)} (mod m) as a^m ≡ (a^{φ(m)})^{m/φ(m)} ≡ 1^{m/φ(m)} ≡ 1 (mod m), since a and m are relatively prime.

Therefore, we have proven that a^m ≡ a^{m-\phi(m)} (mod m) using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and Euler's totient function. This result can also be extended to any integer power, not just m, as long as a and m are relatively prime.

1. What does the equation "a^m = a^{m-\phi(m)} mod m" mean?

The equation represents the relationship between a number a, its exponent m, and the modulus m. The modulus is the remainder when a number is divided by another number. The equation states that when a number a is raised to the power of m, it is equivalent to a number a raised to the power of m minus the totient function of m, all modulo m.

2. What is the totient function?

The totient function, denoted as φ(m), is defined as the number of positive integers less than or equal to m that are relatively prime to m. In other words, it counts the number of positive integers that do not share any common divisors with m, except for 1.

3. How is the equation useful in mathematics?

The equation has various applications in number theory, cryptography, and algorithms. It is often used to simplify calculations involving large numbers and to prove theorems related to modular arithmetic.

4. Can you provide an example of the equation in action?

Sure, let's take the numbers a = 7, m = 12. The totient function of 12 is φ(12) = 4, since the only positive integers less than or equal to 12 that are relatively prime to 12 are 1, 5, 7, and 11. Now, plugging these values into the equation, we get: 7^12 = 7^{12-4} mod 12, which simplifies to 7^12 = 7^8 mod 12. This equation is true, as both sides are equivalent to 7 raised to the power of 8, which has a remainder of 1 when divided by 12.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation?

Yes, the equation is only applicable for numbers that are relatively prime to the modulus m. If a and m share any common divisors, the equation will not hold true. Additionally, the equation does not hold for negative values of a, m, or m minus the totient function of m.