Calculating Magnetic Field Between Parallel Wires with Opposing Currents

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two parallel conductors with the same direction of current. The first question asks for the magnetic field strength at the midpoint between the wires, which is determined to be zero as the fields cancel out. However, for the second question where the current runs in opposite directions, the distance is needed to solve the problem. The textbook provides a numerical answer but it is unclear if it is correct. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the problem involving a surface current on a large plate.
Parth Dave
I've been studying for my exam and came across this little problem.

Two parallel conductors each carry 10 A of current in the same direction.

a) What is the magnetic field strength at the midpoint between these wires?
b) What is the field strength at the same point if the current ran in opposite directions?

For a, the answer is zero. The magnetic fields will cancel out.

For part b, I don't see how you can solve the problem without being given the distance. The magnetic field strength of a straight conductor is a function of the distance away from it. However, the textbook has a numerical answer (4.0 x 10^-4 T). Is the textbook wrong or am I just missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
if it is a surface current on a infinite large plate instead of current in a wire, this problem is soluvable...

ps. if it is the case, the problem sould give you surface current density =10A/m,

Alright, that's what I thought. Thx alot!

1. What is a magnetic field between wires?

A magnetic field between wires refers to the region of space where the magnetic force exerted by two parallel wires carrying an electric current can be detected.

2. How is a magnetic field between wires created?

A magnetic field between wires is created when electric currents flow through parallel wires in opposite directions. This causes the wires to generate magnetic fields that interact with each other.

3. What is the direction of a magnetic field between wires?

The direction of a magnetic field between wires can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the current in the first wire, your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the distance between wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

5. What are some applications of a magnetic field between wires?

One application of a magnetic field between wires is in electric motors, where the interaction between the magnetic fields of different wires causes the motor to rotate. It is also used in devices such as speakers and generators.