How Do You Convert Proton Flux from 1/(cm^2 s sr) to 1/(cm^2 s)?

In summary, the forum user has a question about converting flux measurements from 1/(cm^2 s sr) to 1/(cm^2 s). They have a detector with an effective area of 1 cm^2 and are unsure how to calculate the solid angle it should cover. Through calculations, it is determined that the solid angle of the detector should be 9.92 x 10^-5 sr.
nykon
Dear forum users,

I have a quite simple question. I have got a flux of protons measured in 1/(cm^2 s sr), I would like to have it in 1/(cm^2 s).

nykon

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Then you should multiple by the number of sr

zhermes said:
Then you should multiple by the number of sr

Yes, I have got problem with sr concept:p Let's say that the distance between source and the detector is 1m. My detector has effective area of 1 cm^2. So by how many sr I should multiply my flux?

My answer would be:

The area of the sphere with radius of 1m^2 is:

[itex]S = 40000 \pi [cm^2][/itex]

the effectiv area of the detector is D = 1cm^2, so:

[itex]\frac{D}{S} = \frac{1}{40 000 \pi} = \frac{1}{125600} = 7.9 \times 10^{-6} [/itex]

So the soild angle of my detector should be:

[itex]θ_{D} = 4\pi \times 7.9 \times 10^{-6}[sr][/itex]

So finally:

[itex]θ_{D} = 9.92 \times 10^{-5} [sr][/itex]

Am I right?

nykon

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that looks great!

Thank you for your question. Converting proton flux measurements from 1/(cm^2 s sr) to 1/(cm^2 s) is a common conversion in the field of particle physics. This conversion involves taking into account the solid angle subtended by the detector, which is represented by the "sr" unit in your measurement. To convert from 1/(cm^2 s sr) to 1/(cm^2 s), you will need to divide your original measurement by the solid angle in steradians (sr). The solid angle can be calculated using the formula Ω = A/R^2, where A is the area of the detector and R is the distance from the source to the detector. Once you have calculated the solid angle, you can then divide your original measurement by this value to obtain the desired units of 1/(cm^2 s). I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the purpose of converting proton flux measurements?

The purpose of converting proton flux measurements is to make the data more easily comparable and understandable. Proton flux is often measured using different units or methods, and converting them to a standardized unit allows for better analysis and interpretation of the data.

2. How is proton flux measured?

Proton flux is typically measured using instruments such as particle detectors, magnetometers, or spectrometers. These instruments can detect and measure the number and energy of protons passing through a particular area.

3. What are the most commonly used units for proton flux measurements?

The most commonly used units for proton flux measurements are particles per square centimeter per second (p/cm^2s), particles per square meter per second (p/m^2s), and particles per square centimeter per steradian per second (p/cm^2sr-s). These units are used to measure the number of protons passing through a specific area in a given amount of time.

4. How do you convert proton flux measurements between different units?

To convert proton flux measurements between different units, you can use conversion factors or online calculators. These tools can help you convert from one unit to another by taking into account the differences in area, time, and solid angle.

5. Can converting proton flux measurements affect the accuracy of the data?

Converting proton flux measurements should not affect the accuracy of the data as long as the conversion is done correctly using reliable conversion factors or tools. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the original measurements can still impact the accuracy of the converted data.