Solve a Golf Ball Physics Problem: Calculate Velocity After 2.84s

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a golf ball released from rest from the top of a tall building. The chosen coordinate system has the y-axis pointing vertically upwards and the acceleration of gravity is -9.8 m/s^2. The answer is obtained using the formulas V = V_o + GT, DeltaY = V_oT + 1/2GT^2, and DeltaY = Y_f - Y_i, with the initial velocity and initial position both being 0. The correct answer is 185.3543 m/s.
yankee
A golf ball is released from rest from teh top of a very tall building. Choose a coordinate system whose origin is at the starting point of the ball, and whose y-axis points vertically upward. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Neglecting air resistance , calculate the velocity of the ball after 2.84s. ANswer in units of m/s.
---ok basically i have tried this question about 3 times and each time i have gotten it wrong. The first two answers made absolutely no sense and the third answer i got was 185.3543
this is how i did it:
Vf= 9.8m/s^2(2.84s)^s
= 60.27392
then i did
60.27392^2= 2(9.8 m/s^2x)
i got 185.3543
----
please reply asap i have no clue how to solve this- i thought i was correct but apparently not. what formulas should i use? How would i go about to getting the answer? THANKS SO MUCH

Physics news on Phys.org
V = V_o + GT
DeltaY = V_oT + 1/2GT^2
DeltaY = Y_f - Y_i

V_o = 0
Y_i = 0

G = -9.8

I hope that help.

It seem you made gravity 9.8 when it should be -9.8 since gravity is going down so it would be negative.

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track with using the formula for velocity (Vf = Vi + at). However, there are a few things to keep in mind when solving this problem:

1. Make sure your units are consistent throughout the calculation. The acceleration of gravity is given in m/s^2, so your final answer should also be in m/s.

2. You need to start with the initial velocity (Vi) of the golf ball. In this case, the ball is released from rest, so the initial velocity is 0 m/s.

3. The acceleration (a) in this problem is the acceleration due to gravity, which is always pointing downward. So, it should be -9.8 m/s^2, since the y-axis is pointing upward.

With these adjustments, the equation becomes Vf = 0 m/s + (-9.8 m/s^2)(2.84 s) = -27.872 m/s. Note that the negative sign indicates that the velocity is pointing downward.

I hope this helps! Keep practicing and don't get discouraged - physics can be challenging but with practice, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

1. What factors affect the distance a golf ball travels?

The distance a golf ball travels is affected by a variety of factors, including the angle of impact, the speed of the club head, the spin of the ball, and the air resistance. These factors all contribute to the overall trajectory and distance of the ball.

2. How does the dimple pattern on a golf ball affect its flight?

The dimple pattern on a golf ball is crucial to its flight because it creates a thin layer of air around the ball, reducing drag and allowing it to travel farther. The dimples also create turbulence, which helps to stabilize the ball's flight and improve its accuracy.

3. Why do golf balls have different compressions?

Golf balls have different compressions to accommodate the varying swing speeds of different players. A lower compression ball is easier to compress, making it better for players with slower swing speeds. A higher compression ball requires more force to compress, making it better for players with faster swing speeds.

4. How does the temperature affect the flight of a golf ball?

The temperature can affect the flight of a golf ball in several ways. In colder temperatures, the air is denser, which can cause the ball to travel shorter distances. In warmer temperatures, the air is less dense, allowing the ball to travel farther. Additionally, temperature can also affect the elasticity of the ball, which can impact its bounce and spin.

5. What role does gravity play in the flight of a golf ball?

Gravity plays a significant role in the flight of a golf ball. As the ball is hit, it begins to rise due to the initial force of the swing. However, gravity quickly takes over and pulls the ball back down to the ground. This constant pull of gravity affects the trajectory and distance of the ball's flight.