Determining Mass Ratio of Double Star Systems with Spectroscopy

In summary, determining the mass ratio of a double star system can be done by using spectroscopy to measure the orbital velocities of the two stars. The ratio of the maximum Doppler shift of the two stars can then be used to calculate the inverse of the mass ratio. This can also be achieved by using the orbital equations and Kepler's laws.
JeffOCA
Hi everybody

When you have observed the complete revolution of a star around an other one, you can derive the mass of the double star system (the sum of the masses) by using the Kepler's third law. That's OK.

I have heard that you can find the mass ratio of the system by using spectroscopy. Then, with the sum and the ratio, you can derive each mass separately.

My question is : how can we determine the mass ratio with spectroscopy ?

Kind regards
Jeff

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A more massive star will produce, in general, more light at a higher frequency than a lower mass star. The Sun for example puts out the majority of it's EM radiation in the visible wavelength I believe and so looks white. (Not yellow like most people think. That is due to atmospheric effects) In contrast, very high mass stars typically spend their lives as Blue Supergiants and put out an enormous amount of EM radiation in the UV range of the spectrum. On the other end of the scale, red dwarf's are less massive than the sun, put out less light at lower frequencies. Typically in the infrared range with the lowest mass stars. By measuring the specific output of EM radiation from a star we can make predictions about their mass.

I don't think this is the full answer to the OP's question. A more accurate measure of the mass ratio can be determined by measuring the Doppler shift of the two stars as they rotate around each other. The ratio of the maximum Doppler shift of the two stars will be proportional to the inverse of the mass ratio of the two stars, since the heavier star will move more slowly and the lighter star will move faster. Try this site:

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/binaries/spectroscopic.html

Ah, ok I see now. Once you determine the combined mass you can determine the orbits of each one using doppler shift measurements and hence the ratio.

Thanks for all the answers.

Someone told me it is possible to derive the mass ratio by writing the orbital equations (or Kepler's laws i don't remember) for the two rotating stars.

What are the equations if we want to calculate the mass ratio by considering the Doppler shift ? Any source or references on the web ?

Kind regards
Jeff

No idea. All I can suggest is a google search.

JeffOCA said:
Thanks for all the answers.

Someone told me it is possible to derive the mass ratio by writing the orbital equations (or Kepler's laws i don't remember) for the two rotating stars.

What are the equations if we want to calculate the mass ratio by considering the Doppler shift ? Any source or references on the web ?

Kind regards
Jeff

In such a case, orbital velocity for either body is found by

[tex]V_o = \sqrt{\frac{GM^2}{r(M+m)}}[/tex]

where m is the body for which you finding Vo.

Janus said:
In such a case, orbital velocity for either body is found by

[tex]V_o = \sqrt{\frac{GM^2}{r(M+m)}}[/tex]

where m is the body for which you finding Vo.

Ok, but by doing this, you don't use spectroscopy at all (look first post of the thread...) ?

Spectroscopy is how you measure the orbital velocities. How else will you come up with V?

Ok, thanks everybody !

1. What is the purpose of determining the mass ratio of double star systems with spectroscopy?

The purpose of determining the mass ratio of double star systems with spectroscopy is to gain a better understanding of the dynamics of these systems. By measuring the mass ratio, we can determine the relative masses of the stars and how they interact with each other. This information can also help us learn more about the formation and evolution of double star systems.

2. How is spectroscopy used to determine the mass ratio of double star systems?

Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by a star. By studying the spectral lines, we can determine the velocity of the star in relation to Earth. In a double star system, both stars will have their own spectral lines, and by comparing the velocities of each star, we can calculate the mass ratio.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the mass ratio with spectroscopy?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the mass ratio with spectroscopy. These include the quality of the data, the resolution of the spectrograph, and the orbital parameters of the stars. The presence of any other objects in the system, such as a third star or a planet, can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

4. Why is it important to accurately determine the mass ratio of double star systems?

Accurately determining the mass ratio of double star systems is important because it can provide valuable information about the system's dynamics and evolution. It can also help us understand the role of double star systems in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Additionally, knowing the mass ratio can aid in the search for exoplanets around these stars.

5. Can the mass ratio of a double star system change over time?

Yes, the mass ratio of a double star system can change over time. This can happen due to various factors such as mass transfer between the stars, orbital evolution, and interactions with other objects in the system. It is important for scientists to continue monitoring these systems and updating their mass ratio measurements to gather a more complete understanding of their dynamics.