Calculate the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for the SP(3,R) by SU(3)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the symplectic group SP(3,R) non-compact induced by the SU(3) group, with a request for any helpful references. It is mentioned that the SP(3,R) group only exists in an even number of dimensions, but some works have been published on it in nuclear physics. A reference by Bohm, Ne'eman and Barut is suggested, along with further information on the group starting on page 28. The conversation also mentions a desire to discuss the problem further, as it is the speaker's sabbatical year.
dongsh2
Dear Everyone,

I have a problem to be solved now. how to calculate the symplectic group SP(3,R) non-compact induced by the SU(3) group? Any reference provided will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's unclear to me what you mean by SP(3, R), since the symplectic group exists only in an even number of dimensions.

According to my experience, I know it exists only in an even number of dimensions. But indeed some people published some works in SP(3,R) group in nuclear physics. I am so confused. e.g.

Noncompact Lie Groups and Some of Their Applications
NATO ASI Series Volume 429, 1994, pp 285-300
Applications of Sp(3,R) in Nuclear Physics

Ok, I see. this reference by Bohm, Ne'eman and Barut talks a bit about the use of SP(3, R) in nuclear physics. And this reference starting on p.28 further describes the group itself.

Last edited:
If possible I might discuss sth with you deeply about this problem. This year is my sabbatical year so I want to solve this problem.

What is the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for SP(3,R) by SU(3)?

The Clebsch-Gordon coefficient is a mathematical term used in quantum mechanics to describe the coupling of angular momenta in a composite system. In the context of SP(3,R) by SU(3), it represents the probability amplitude for a certain combination of quantum numbers in the representation of the direct product of the two groups.

What is the significance of calculating the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for SP(3,R) by SU(3)?

The calculation of the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for SP(3,R) by SU(3) has significant implications in the study of atomic and nuclear physics, as well as in other fields of theoretical physics. It allows us to understand the behavior of composite systems and predict their properties.

How is the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for SP(3,R) by SU(3) calculated?

The Clebsch-Gordon coefficient is calculated using the Wigner-Eckart theorem, which relates the matrix elements of a tensor operator in one representation to those in another representation. This involves using the group theory and the representation theory of the two groups involved, SP(3,R) and SU(3).

What factors affect the value of the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for SP(3,R) by SU(3)?

The value of the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient is affected by the quantum numbers of the individual representations, as well as the selection rules and symmetry properties of the two groups. It may also depend on the specific physical system being studied.

Can the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient for SP(3,R) by SU(3) be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient can be experimentally measured through various techniques such as scattering experiments or spectroscopic measurements. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the structure and properties of composite systems.