Decomposing SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Cartan matrix of SU(4) to decompose the (1 0 0) and (0 1 0) states into irreps of SU(3) x U(1). The dimension of SU(n) is n^2-1 and the dimension of U(n) is n^2. The conversation also mentions the irreducible representations of SU(2) and the classification theorem for SU(4) and SU(3).
RicardoMP
I'm solving these problems concerning the SU(4) group and I've reached the point where I have determined the Cartan matrix of SU(4), its inverse and the weight schemes for (1 0 0) and (0 1 0) highest weight states.

83052426_998197147219953_6309952079091728384_n.jpg

How do I decompose the (1 0 0) and (0 1 0) into irreps of SU(3) x U(1) using the inverse of the Cartan matrix of SU(4) and the weight scheme?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate who ##SU(4)## is connected to ##SU(3) \times U(1)##? The dimension of ##SU(n)## is ##n^2-1## and the dimension of ##U(n)## is ##n^2##. Hence we have ##15## on one side and ##9## on the other.

I only know the irreducible representations of ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##, so I'm not sure what the classification theorem for ##\mathfrak{su}(4)## and ##\mathfrak{su}(3)## says. Not to mention the groups.

What is the significance of decomposing SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1)?

The decomposition of SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1) is important in the study of particle physics and the Standard Model. It allows for a better understanding of the symmetries and interactions between particles and their corresponding forces.

How is SU(4) decomposed into SU(3) x U(1)?

The decomposition of SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1) is achieved by breaking down the fundamental representation of SU(4) into its components under SU(3) and U(1) transformations. This results in a reduction of the number of generators and a simplification of the group structure.

What are the representations of SU(4) and SU(3) x U(1)?

SU(4) has a fundamental representation of dimension 4x4, while SU(3) has a fundamental representation of dimension 3x3 and U(1) has a trivial representation of dimension 1x1. The decomposition of SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1) results in a combination of these representations.

What is the physical interpretation of decomposing SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1)?

The decomposition of SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1) has a physical interpretation in terms of the strong and electroweak forces. SU(3) represents the strong force, while U(1) represents the electromagnetic force. This decomposition allows for a unified description of these two forces.

What are some applications of decomposing SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1)?

The decomposition of SU(4) into SU(3) x U(1) has applications in the study of particle physics and the Standard Model. It helps to explain the symmetries and interactions of particles and their corresponding forces. It also has implications for the unification of the strong and electroweak forces, as well as for the search for new particles and physics beyond the Standard Model.