Calculating the Magnitude of a Force

In summary, three forces act on a particle with a constant velocity of 2 m/s x - 7 m/s y. The two known forces are F1 = -10.0N x + 9.0N y + 4.0N z and F2 = -1.0N x + 4.0N y + 2.0N z. The question is asking for the magnitude of the third force, which can be found by setting the sum of the forces equal to zero and solving for the missing components.
Lorelyn

Homework Statement

Three forces act on a particle that moves with a constant velocity v = 2 m/s x – 7 m/s y . Two of the forces acting on this particle are F1 = -10.0N x + 9.0N y + 4.0N z and F2 = = -1.0N x + 4.0N y + 2.0N z . What is the magnitude of the third force?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually not even sure what the question is asking to be honest...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma, indeed. So a=0 since it's moving with constant velocity, so the sum of the forces is zero. What's the third force? Once you have it, figure out it's magnitude.

So I just go:

Fx: -10-1+____=2
Fy: 9+4+___=-7
Fz: 4+2+__=0
Where the blanks are the third force?

No. The velocity is CONSTANT. So the acceleration is ZERO. Set all of your equations equal to zero.

All of which equations? I get that Fnet = 0 because there is no acceleration, but how do I relate that to velocity? or to the components of the other forces?

Lorelyn said:
So I just go:

Fx: -10-1+____=2
Fy: 9+4+___=-7
Fz: 4+2+__=0
Where the blanks are the third force?

All of THESE equations. The velocity doesn't matter since it's constant. The equations above give you the components of Fnet. Which should be zero, so replace the 2 and -7 with 0. Now figure out what goes in the blanks to give you the third force.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of a force?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of a force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you determine the direction of a force?

The direction of a force is determined by the direction in which the force is applied. For example, if a force is applied in a northward direction, the force vector will point in the northward direction.

3. Can the magnitude of a force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the applied force.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the magnitude of a force?

The mass of an object directly affects the magnitude of a force. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it.

5. What are some common units of measurement for force?

The most common units of measurement for force are Newtons (N) and pounds (lbs). Other units include kilograms (kg) and dynes (dyn).