What is the difference between salting in and salting out electrolytes?

• Thread starter thearny
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between salting in and salting out electrolytes and their effects on solution stability. The speaker has long believed that NaOH, Na2SO4, Na2CO3, and NaCl are all salting out electrolytes, but is now questioning if NaOH behaves differently. The concept of "like dissolves like" is mentioned, and the addition of salt to a polar solution can actually increase its solubility. The discussion also touches on the role of headgroups in surfactants and how they can affect the solubility of salt.
thearny
Recently I read an article describing NaOH as a salting in electrolyte, and I have long held the belief that Na2SO4, Na2CO3 and NaCl etc.. are salting out electrolytes. I cannot see any reason why NaOH should be different. What is the difference between salting in and salting out electrolytes, and what affect do they have? - Any thoughts much appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you know what salting in means?

Not really. I can't quite envisage it. Salting out (I am applying this to surfactants) means that the surfactant is dragged/forced out of solution. So salting in presumably strengthens the solutions stability, but I can see no justification (experimentally) or mechanism for that.

Like dissolves like. Very polar solutions are better at solubilizing a polar substrate than less polar ones. So, adding salt to an aqueous solution of something that is only moderately polar (like a surfactant) will make it less soluble. Adding salt to something that is very polar can actually increase its solubility provided there is no 'common ion' effect.

I read a paper yesterday suggesting that salting out is due to an imblance in the chemical potential caused by salt being less soluble by the headgroups. The chemical potential explanation I can accept, but why would the salt be less soluble around the headgroup? - It just about fits... Many thanks.

Discussion about headgroups implies a surfactant is discussed.

The structure of water near the headgroup is somewhat organized. This somewhat organized water can potentially have less interaction with another ion in solution... the hydrogen bonds that 'organize' this water are somewhat less available to interact with the soluble ion from the salt. It does sound a bit like handwaving though.

What is salting in?

Salting in is a process in which a salt is added to a solution to increase the solubility of a substance. This results in the dissolved substance becoming more polar and thus, more soluble in the solution.

What is salting out?

Salting out is the opposite of salting in, where a salt is added to a solution to decrease the solubility of a substance. This results in the dissolved substance becoming less polar and less soluble in the solution.

How does salting in work?

Salting in works by disrupting the attractive forces between the solute particles, making it easier for them to dissolve in the solution. This is achieved by the ions in the salt surrounding the solute particles, effectively shielding them from each other.

What are some practical applications of salting in and salting out?

Salting in and salting out are commonly used in various industries, including food and pharmaceuticals, to extract, purify, and separate different substances. It is also used in laboratory experiments to purify proteins and other biomolecules.

Can salting in and salting out be reversed?

Yes, salting in and salting out can be reversed by changing the concentration or type of salt in the solution. Additionally, temperature and pH can also affect the effectiveness of salting in and salting out.