Massive boson propagator - problem with step in derivation

In summary: What you are seeing is that the divergence of V_{\nu} V^{\mu\nu} is zero, because the divergence of two vectors that are not in contact is zero.
Ben1729
I've been going through a derivation of the massive boson propagator. The only trouble is I don't feel satisfied by one particular step. I've started getting the problem written up in tex so here goes:

[tex]
\newcommand{\del}{\partial}
\newcommand{\eqn}[1]{\begin{equation}\begin{array}{rl}#1\end{array}\end{equation}}
\newcommand{\where}[1]{\\\textrm{where}\quad #1}
\newcommand{\dm}{\del_{\mu}}
\newcommand{\dn}{\del_{\nu}}
\newcommand{\dM}{\del^{\mu}}
\newcommand{\dN}{\del^{\nu}}
\newcommand{\vm}{V_{\mu}}
\newcommand{\vn}{V_{\nu}}
\newcommand{\vM}{V^{\mu}}
\newcommand{\vN}{V^{\nu}}
\newcommand{\dmvn}{\dm\vn}
\newcommand{\dnvm}{\dn\vm}
\newcommand{\dMvN}{\dM\vN}
\newcommand{\dNvM}{\dN\vM}
\newcommand{\vmn}{V_{\mu\nu}}
\newcommand{\vMN}{V^{\mu\nu}}
For a free (non-interacting) massive vector field V the lagrangian is:

\eqn{
L&=-\frac{1}{4}V_{\mu\nu}V^{\mu\nu}+\frac{M^2}{2}V^{\mu}V_{\mu}\\
\where{V_{\mu\nu}&=\dmvn-\dnvm}
}

To extract the massive boson propagator, let us expand the first term:
\eqn{
V_{\mu\nu}V^{\mu\nu}&=(\dmvn-\dnvm)(\dMvN-\dNvM)\\
&=\dmvn\dMvN-\dmvn\dNvM-\dnvm\dMvN+\dnvm\dNvM\\
&=2[\dmvn\dMvN-\dmvn\dNvM]\\
&=2[\dm(\vn\dMvN)-\vn\dm\dMvN-\dm(\vn\dNvM)+\vn\dm\dNvM]
}

Now in order to get a simple expression for the propagator,
we'd quite like the sum of the 1st and 3rd terms to be zero:
\eqn{
\dm(\vn\dMvN)-\dm(\vn\dNvM)=0\\
\dm(\vn(\dMvN-\dNvM))=0\\
\dm(\vn\vMN)=0
}
[/tex]

So my question now is, what is the sufficient condition to make this last equation true?

Some books just say 'integrate by parts' and voila, you mystically end up with only the 2nd and 4th terms of the last line of equation 2, and then you can go on to define the propagator.

But going through it myself, and iterating the steps explicitly as above, I'm not convinced by this. Have I done something really dumb? Or is there some condition I'm missing - does a 'free' field mean something here?

Thanks in advance.

B.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int dx^{4}\partial_{\mu}[V_{\nu}V^{\nu\mu}]=\int dS_{\mu} V_{\nu}V^{\nu\mu}[/tex]

As you know if you take boundry at infinity the letter integral gives zero. So this kind of expressions give no contribution to action integral and can be removed from lagrangian density.

PS: dS is a 3-dimentional hypersurface in Minkowski space

Ah yes. Good old Stokes.
But I'm still not sure what zero divergence for such a strange quantity as:
[tex]V_\nu V^{\mu\nu}[/tex]
implies for [tex]V_\nu[/tex] itself

It does NOT have zero divergence. The INTEGRAL of the divergence is zero, because the integral of ANY divergence (with suitable boundary conditions at infinity) is zero.

Er...yes. Sorry. Thanks!

I still can't quite visualise this quantity:
[tex]V_{\nu} V^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

FAQ: Massive boson propagator - problem with step in derivation

1. What is a massive boson propagator?

A massive boson propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory to describe the probability of two particles interacting with each other through the exchange of a massive boson. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What is the problem with the step in derivation of the massive boson propagator?

The problem with the step in derivation of the massive boson propagator arises when trying to calculate its value at zero momentum. This leads to a singularity in the formula, making it difficult to use in certain calculations and potentially causing inconsistencies in the theory.

3. How is the problem with the step in derivation addressed?

To address the singularity at zero momentum, a regularization technique is used in the calculation of the massive boson propagator. This involves introducing a small parameter into the formula to smooth out the singularity and make the result more mathematically well-behaved.

4. Can the problem with the step in derivation be completely eliminated?

While regularization techniques can help to mitigate the problem with the step in derivation, it cannot be completely eliminated. This is because the singularity is inherent in the mathematical structure of the theory and cannot be fully removed without compromising the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How does the problem with the step in derivation affect our understanding of particle interactions?

The problem with the step in derivation does not affect our overall understanding of particle interactions. While it may complicate certain calculations, the massive boson propagator is still a useful tool in predicting and understanding the behavior of subatomic particles in various situations.