Mastering Integration by Parts: Proving the Indefinite Integral Formula

In summary, the integral of cos^n(x)dx can be solved using integration by parts if you know how to do trig subs.
uman
Hi,

I need help evaluating the following integral by integration by parts: [tex]\int(a^2-x^2)^n\,dx[/tex]. Specifically I am supposed to prove the following formula: [tex]\int(a^2-x^2)^n\,dx=\frac{x(a^2-x^2)^n}{2n+1}+\frac{2a^2n}{2n+1}\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1}\,dx+C[/tex] Any hints would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any general tips for learning how to do these things? I understand the principle behind integration by parts but I just can never seem to decide how to go about solving them. I'm learning from Tom Apostol's book and this is by far the hardest chapter so far for me as far as the exercises go even though other chapters were much more difficult to understand conceptually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the substitution asin(theta) = x. This gives you (a^2cos^2)^n*(acos). Rewrite this as (a^2cos^2)^(n+1/2). Use the formula for the integral of cos^k (I used a table of integrals here, but I'm guessing the method used to prove it uses integration by parts.) and back substitute to get the write answer. If you're not supposed to know how to do trig subs yet then I'm not really sure how to go about proving it using just integration by parts.

Last edited:
Ok, to the proof of the integral of cos^n(x)dx does use integration by parts.
u = cos(x)^(n-1)
dv = cos(x)dx.

cos(x)^n = -cos(x)^(n-1)sin(x) + int[ (n-1)cos(x)^(n-2)sin^2(x)dx
Now, using the fact that 1-cos^2 = sin^2 we get:
cos(x)^n = -cos(x)^(n-1)sin(x) + int[ (n-1)cos^(n-2)] + int[(n-1)cos(x)^n
Now, moving the right most integral of the left side and dividing by -n gives us:
cos(x)^n = cos(x)^(n-1)sin(x)/n + (n-1)/n*int[cos^(n-2)

Of course in your case it's not n, it's 2n+1.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical operation that represents the antiderivative of a given function. It is a way to find the original function when only the derivative is known.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

Unlike a definite integral, an indefinite integral does not have specific limits of integration. This means that the result of an indefinite integral is a family of functions, rather than a single numerical value.

3. What are the steps for solving an indefinite integral?

The steps for solving an indefinite integral are as follows: 1) Identify the function to be integrated, 2) Use integration rules and techniques to solve the integral, 3) Add a constant of integration, and 4) Verify the solution by taking the derivative.

4. How do I know which integration technique to use?

The integration technique used will depend on the form of the function being integrated. Some common techniques include u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with these techniques to determine the best approach for each integral.

5. Can indefinite integrals be solved using a calculator?

Yes, many calculators have built-in functions for solving indefinite integrals. However, it is important to note that these calculators may not always provide the most simplified form of the integral, so it is important to double check the solution using the steps mentioned above.