Trouble understanding a Peskin-Schroeder text

• Thread starter praharmitra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, the Peskin-Schroeder text is a well-known textbook in the field of theoretical particle physics that covers fundamental principles and mathematical techniques. It can be difficult to understand due to its reliance on a strong background in mathematics and abstract concepts. To improve understanding, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in math, supplement reading with other resources, and take time to work through each concept. Common misconceptions include its relevance only to particle physics and its outdatedness. The text is not suitable for beginners and is better suited for graduate-level students or those with a solid understanding of fundamental physics principles.
praharmitra
I am having some trouble understanding the paragraph after eq (3.93) in Peskin Schroeder (Page 55). The chapter is on the Dirac Field. These are the parts where I am not following:

1. If the ground state [tex]|0>[/tex] is to be invariant under translations, we must have

[tex] |0> = e^{i \textbf{P.x}} |0> [/tex].

How?!

2. How does
[tex] <0| a^r_p {a^s_q}^\dagger e^{i P.x} |0>= e^{i(p-q).x} <0| e^{i P.x} a^r_p{a^s_q}^ \dagger |0> [/tex].
?!

Physics news on Phys.org
got it, thanks! :)

What is the Peskin-Schroeder text about?

The Peskin-Schroeder text is a well-known textbook in the field of theoretical particle physics. It covers the fundamental principles and mathematical techniques needed to understand and analyze the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

Why is the Peskin-Schroeder text difficult to understand?

The Peskin-Schroeder text is often difficult to understand because it assumes a strong background in mathematics, specifically in calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, the concepts discussed in the text can be quite abstract and complex, making it challenging for those without prior knowledge in the field.

How can I improve my understanding of the Peskin-Schroeder text?

To improve your understanding of the Peskin-Schroeder text, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, it can be helpful to supplement your reading with other resources, such as lectures, online videos, and practice problems. It is also beneficial to take your time and carefully work through each concept before moving on to the next.

What are some common misconceptions about the Peskin-Schroeder text?

One common misconception about the Peskin-Schroeder text is that it is only relevant for those studying particle physics. However, the principles and techniques discussed in the text can be applied to various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics and cosmology. Another misconception is that the text is outdated, but it continues to be a valuable resource for understanding advanced concepts in particle physics.

Is the Peskin-Schroeder text suitable for beginners?

The Peskin-Schroeder text is not recommended for beginners, as it assumes a strong background in mathematics and prior knowledge in theoretical particle physics. It is better suited for graduate-level students or those with a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of physics.