Headings to standard

by Medgirl314
Tags: headings, standard
Share this thread:
Medgirl314
Dec30-13, 07:05 PM
P: 559
Hi all,

Would a heading of 330 degrees be equivalent to a standard angle measurement of 30 degrees? I'm used to calculating by subtracting the heading from 90, but the angle is too large for this problem. I know it seems to be a ridiculously simple question compared to others on this forum, but it's fairly difficult to find information about headings vs. standard on the internet.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
NascentOxygen
Dec31-13, 06:41 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,243
Quote Quote by Medgirl314 View Post
Hi all,

Would a heading of 330 degrees be equivalent to a standard angle measurement of 30 degrees? I'm used to calculating by subtracting the heading from 90, but the angle is too large for this problem. I know it seems to be a ridiculously simple question compared to others on this forum, but it's fairly difficult to find information about headings vs. standard on the internet.

Thanks!
I'm unfamiliar with your use of 'standard angle' measurement. But as for how a heading is measured, this should answer that detail: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_(navigation)

Does that help?
HallsofIvy
Dec31-13, 07:48 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,488
Quote Quote by Medgirl314 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
A "heading" of 0 or 360 degrees is due north. 330 degrees is 360- 330= 30 degrees "west of north".

Medgirl314
Jan4-14, 08:37 PM
P: 559
Headings to standard

Ah, okay. That is what I thought. Thank you!

Register to reply