Diffusion Equation/Change of Variable

In summary, the question asks if a change of time variable can reduce the equation for parabolic motion to the diffusion equation. The attempted solution suggests that substituting in the equation for velocity, v = e^{\alpha x +\beta \tau} u(x,\tau). By liberal application of the product rule, the equation can be reduced to the diffusion equation.
LP_MAX

Homework Statement

Apologies if this doesn't come through properly.

The question states

Use a change of time variable to show that the equation

[tex]c(\tau) \frac{\partial u}{\partial \tau} = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

can be reduced to the diffusion equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a couple of things, primarily setting up

[tex]v(\tau) = \int c(\tau)[/tex]

in the hope that the product rule would give me something to cancel out on the left hand side, but no luck. I'm pretty certain this is going to be one of those nasty little mathematical tricks that can be described in six words or less. If anybody wants to give me a pointer as to what I should be looking for, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, is the "diffusion equation" you trying to get to? I ask because I would certainly consider the equation you give a "diffusion equation".

Sorry, *the* diffusion equation in this case just means that by change of variable I need to show it can be reduced to [tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial \tau} = \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial \tau^2}[/tex]for example, the previous part of this question involves

Suppose that a and b are constants. Show that the parabolic equation
[tex]\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial \tau } = \frac {\partial^2 \mu}{\partial x^2} + a \frac {\partial \mu} {\partial x} + b\mu[/tex]
can always be reduced to the diffusion equation.

can be reduced by substituting in

[tex]v = e^{\alpha x +\beta \tau} u(x,\tau)[/tex]

and liberal application of the product rule. I'm sure there's a really simplistic substitution I should be able to rattle off to do this, but I am not a mathematician, sadly. I'm not a physicist and "diffusion equation" has a very narrow meaning and form for the area I'm involved in, at least at the level I'm currently at (probably more a reflection of my limited understanding than anything else). Thanks for the pointer on the tags. Been knee deep in latex all day and just didn't see that.

Last edited:
Use \ for letex and / for discussion board tags. Notice your closing tex tags use the wrong slash.

1. What is the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation is a partial differential equation that describes how a quantity, such as heat or mass, changes over time due to diffusion. It is commonly used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. How is the diffusion equation derived?

The diffusion equation can be derived from Fick's laws of diffusion, which state that the rate of diffusion of a substance is proportional to the concentration gradient. By applying these laws to a small volume element, the diffusion equation can be obtained.

3. What is the importance of the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation is important because it can be used to model and predict the behavior of diffusion processes in various systems. This can help scientists understand and control diffusion in different applications, such as drug delivery, material science, and environmental studies.

4. How is a change of variable used in the diffusion equation?

A change of variable is a mathematical technique that can be used to simplify the diffusion equation and make it easier to solve. By substituting a new variable, the equation can be transformed into a simpler form that is more amenable to analysis.

5. What are some real-life applications of the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation has many practical applications, including predicting the spread of pollutants in the environment, understanding the transport of nutrients in biological systems, and optimizing the design of heat exchangers. It is also used in financial modeling and in the study of traffic flow.