Using the Lambert W-Function to Solve for a Unique Real Value of x

• Thread starter Uan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Lambert W-Function to solve an engineering problem involving the equation ax=b-cln(dx). The function is defined as the inverse of W e^W and is used to simplify the equation into a more recognizable form. However, for finding numerical solutions, one still needs to consult mathematical tables or software.
Uan
Not really sure where this question belongs in this forum...

I was solving an engineering problem and I got to the form

[tex]ax=b-cln(dx)[/tex]

where a, b, c and d are constant real values. I had a peek at the answer and they got a unique positive real valued answer for x but I have no idea how. Some searching I came across the Lambert W-Function and I got it into the form

[tex]\frac{1}{d}e^{\frac{b}{c}} = xe^{\frac{ax}{c}} [/tex]

How do I proceed to apply the Lambert W-Function from here?

WolframAlpha found that

[tex]x = \frac{c}{a}W\left ( \frac{a}{cd}e^{\frac{b}{c}} \right )[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$x=W(g) \Leftrightarrow x*e^x = g$$
Therefore,
$$\frac{ax}{c} = W\left ( \frac{a}{cd}e^{\frac{b}{c}} \right ) \Leftrightarrow \frac{ax}{c} \exp\left(\frac{ax}{c}\right) = \frac{a}{cd}e^{\frac{b}{c}}$$

Multiply both sides with c/a and you get the equation in your post. The other direction works the same, you just have to see that you need the shape (something)*e^(something) and work with the constants to get that.

Likes 1 person
Well, LambertW is defined to be the inverse of [itex] W e^W [/itex]. If there was a way to invert that function, there would be no need to define LambertW! The expression you got is the most thing you can do. Then you are supposed to say "Oh yeah, so x should be the LambertW of such and so". And for actually finding numbers for x, you should consult mathematical tables or math softwares .

Likes 1 person
Thanks, that clears a lot up. So really the Lambert W in this case doesn't help all that much - just allows the function to be in a more recognisable form. You still need to go back to...

[tex]\frac{1}{d}e^{\frac{b}{c}} = xe^{\frac{ax}{c}} [/tex]

and solve numerically for x.

Or look up function values of the Lambert W function, yes.

1. How do you solve for the variable x in the equation a*x=b-c*log(d*x)?

To solve for x, you can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of logarithms. First, isolate the terms containing x on one side of the equation. Then, use the inverse of logarithms to cancel out the log term. Finally, divide both sides by the coefficient of x to solve for the variable.

2. Can the equation a*x=b-c*log(d*x) be solved without using logarithms?

Yes, the equation can be solved without using logarithms. However, logarithms are often used to simplify and solve equations involving exponential terms like d*x.

3. What is the purpose of using logarithms in equations like a*x=b-c*log(d*x)?

Logarithms are used to solve equations that involve exponential terms, as they can help eliminate the exponent and simplify the equation. They are also useful in graphing and analyzing exponential functions.

4. Is there a specific approach or method for solving equations like a*x=b-c*log(d*x)?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving equations like this one. One approach is to use algebraic manipulation and the properties of logarithms, as mentioned in the first question. Another approach is to graph both sides of the equation and find the point(s) of intersection, which represent the solution(s) for x.

5. Can the equation a*x=b-c*log(d*x) have more than one solution for x?

Yes, it is possible for the equation to have more than one solution for x. This can happen if the exponential term d*x has multiple values that satisfy the equation. However, it is also possible for the equation to have no real solutions, depending on the values of the constants a, b, c, and d.