Image formed by a convex mirror

In summary, a man standing 5 meters in front of a large vertical plane mirror will have an image located farther back from the mirror's surface, making the angle subtended by the image at his eye different from 0.38 radians. Additionally, while real images of real objects are inverted, the image of a virtual object can be either virtual and erect or real and inverted, depending on the type of mirror being used.
Amith2006
Sir,
1) A man 2 meters tall stands 5 meters in front of a large vertical plane mirror. What is the angle subtended by his image in the mirror at his eye?
I solved it in the following way:
Let AB represent the man and CE represent the mirror mounted on the wall.Here I am assuming that the level of eyes and head are almost the same.
From the figure,
Tan(y) = 2/5
y = 0.38 radians
Is it right?
2) A convergent beam of light converges to a point 20 cm behind the convex mirror on the principal axis. An inverted image of the same size coincident with the virtual object is formed. What is the focal length of the convex mirror?
I didn’t understand this question. Here it is said that an inverted image is formed coincident with the virtual object. But since the image is inverted, it should be real image. At the same time, since the image is coincident with the virtual object, the image also should be virtual isn’t it? How can an image be real as well as virtual? I think the question is wrong. What do you say Sir?

Attachments

• Opt 1.GIF
    Opt 1.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
1) A man 2 meters tall stands 5 meters in front of a large vertical plane mirror. What is the angle subtended by his image in the mirror at his eye?
I solved it in the following way:
Let AB represent the man and CE represent the mirror mounted on the wall.Here I am assuming that the level of eyes and head are almost the same.
From the figure,
Tan(y) = 2/5
y = 0.38 radians
Is it right?
No, not right. Your error is treating the man's image as if it appears at the mirror's surface. But if the man stands 5 meters in front of the mirror, where is his image located?
2) A convergent beam of light converges to a point 20 cm behind the convex mirror on the principal axis. An inverted image of the same size coincident with the virtual object is formed. What is the focal length of the convex mirror?
I didn’t understand this question. Here it is said that an inverted image is formed coincident with the virtual object. But since the image is inverted, it should be real image. At the same time, since the image is coincident with the virtual object, the image also should be virtual isn’t it? How can an image be real as well as virtual? I think the question is wrong. What do you say Sir?
The question is correct. While real images of real objects are inverted, not so for virtual objects. (To convince yourself of this, try drawing a ray diagram of a plane mirror with a virtual object. Is the image real or virtual? Inverted or not?)

Sir,
Do you mean that the image of a virtual object is virtual and erect always? Is it true only for a convex mirror or for all types of mirrors?

Amith2006 said:
Do you mean that the image of a virtual object is virtual and erect always?
Of course not. In this example, the image of the virtual object is virtual and inverted.

What I meant was that a real image of a virtual object is erect (not inverted like the real image of a real object).

As I suggested before, play around with a ray diagram of a plane mirror to convince yourself of this. (Plane mirror only because the diagrams are easier to draw.) But any mirror will work.

Thanks Sir.

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a type of curved mirror in which the reflective surface bulges outwards. This means that the center of the mirror is farther away from the surface than the edges, causing the reflected image to appear smaller than the actual object.

2. How is an image formed by a convex mirror?

When light rays from an object hit a convex mirror, they are reflected in different directions due to the curved surface. These reflected rays diverge away from each other, creating an upright virtual image behind the mirror. The size of the image depends on the distance of the object from the mirror and the curvature of the mirror.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image formed by a convex mirror?

A real image is formed when the reflected rays from an object actually converge at a point in front of the mirror. This can happen with a convex mirror if the object is placed very close to the mirror. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when the reflected rays only appear to converge at a point behind the mirror. This is the case with convex mirrors for objects placed at farther distances.

4. How does the size of an object affect the image formed by a convex mirror?

The size of an object affects the size of the image formed by a convex mirror. As the object moves closer to the mirror, the image becomes larger. Conversely, as the object moves farther away from the mirror, the image becomes smaller. This is due to the way the rays of light are reflected by the curved surface of the mirror.

5. What are some practical applications of convex mirrors?

Convex mirrors have many practical applications, such as in security and surveillance systems, as they provide a wider field of view compared to flat mirrors. They are also commonly used as side-view mirrors on vehicles, as they allow drivers to see a larger area behind and to the sides of their car. Additionally, convex mirrors are used in some types of telescopes and in certain types of eyeglasses to correct vision problems.