Internet connection issue in Linux

In summary, it seems like your DNS servers may not be working correctly. You can try to resolve this by editing your "resolv.conf" file and adding in one of the DNS servers that you know works.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My (new*) linux system is having trouble connecting to most websites. Originally I thought it was a DNS issue, because I can connect to some websites (Google, thanks goodness, and physicsforums of course), but now I'm not sure.

What do you think this is? Is it me, my connection, or an Internet-wide disruption? (Amusingly, I can't access http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ .) Is there anything I can do?

* Thanks again to those on this and other boards who helped me set this computer up!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, I was able to resolve my issue (most of the way) just by using a VPN to connect. I'm still curious as to the source of the problem, but I guess that suggests a problem with either my VPN (changing settings that make it hard to connect normally) or a local outage (avoided when I go through the VPN).

You can easily check if it's a DNS issue by:
1) ping (trace) your DNS server and check for disrupted packages.
2) Look up the IP addresses of the websites you can't access using someone else's computer. Then try to access the website directly from its IP. If you can you have a DNS problem.
If you can connect to google then you don't have a TCP/IP problem. Maybe your IP tables are corrupted? Maybe your firewall isn't configured properly? What error message do you get when you can't access a website?
You didn't really give us any information to work with so I can only guess.

daniel_i_l said:
You can easily check if it's a DNS issue by:
1) ping (trace) your DNS server and check for disrupted packages.
2) Look up the IP addresses of the websites you can't access using someone else's computer. Then try to access the website directly from its IP. If you can you have a DNS problem.
If you can connect to google then you don't have a TCP/IP problem. Maybe your IP tables are corrupted? Maybe your firewall isn't configured properly? What error message do you get when you can't access a website?
You didn't really give us any information to work with so I can only guess.

I could ping my DNS server just fine. I was able to find some IP addresses but couldn't actually tell if that worked (funny, I know): the sites that I tried didn't load, as such, but they found the IP address and then choked on a redirect. Still, I think the issue was not a DNS problem but something else, probably something caused by installing, turning on, or turning off my VPN (since that's the only network-related thing I've changed recently).

CRGreathouse said:
I could ping my DNS server just fine. I was able to find some IP addresses but couldn't actually tell if that worked (funny, I know): the sites that I tried didn't load, as such, but they found the IP address and then choked on a redirect. Still, I think the issue was not a DNS problem but something else, probably something caused by installing, turning on, or turning off my VPN (since that's the only network-related thing I've changed recently).

Hi friend,
I had the same trouble in this issue. The problem is DNS servers on your "resolv.conf" file.
If you go to /etc/resolv.conf, and then add this line into it, It probably works.
nameserver your.dns.server.ips
or you can use free services such as OpenDNS
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
Sorry for my poor Engish,
I hope this works.

1. How do I troubleshoot an internet connection issue in Linux?

To troubleshoot an internet connection issue in Linux, you can follow these steps:

• Check your network cables: Make sure all cables are securely connected and not damaged.
  • Restart your network: Use the command "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" to restart your network.
  • Check your IP address: Use the command "ifconfig" to check if your IP address is correct.
  • Check your DNS settings: Use the command "cat /etc/resolv.conf" to check your DNS settings.
  • Check your firewall settings: Make sure your firewall is not blocking your internet connection.

2. Why am I unable to connect to the internet in Linux?

There can be several reasons why you are unable to connect to the internet in Linux:

• Incorrect network settings: Make sure your network settings are correct, including your IP address and DNS settings.
  • Network driver issues: If you recently updated your Linux kernel, your network driver may not be compatible. Try updating your network driver.
  • Firewall settings: Your firewall may be blocking your internet connection. Check your firewall settings and make sure the necessary ports are open.
  • Router or modem issues: Your router or modem may be experiencing problems. Try restarting them or contacting your internet service provider.
  • Hardware issues: It is possible that your network hardware is damaged or malfunctioning. Try using a different network adapter or contacting a technician for assistance.

3. How do I set up a wired internet connection in Linux?

To set up a wired internet connection in Linux, follow these steps:

• Connect your computer to your router or modem using an Ethernet cable.
  • Open your network settings: This can usually be found in the system settings or by right-clicking on your network icon in the taskbar.
  • Click on the "Wired" tab and select "Add" to create a new wired connection.
  • Enter your network details, such as your IP address and DNS settings.
  • Save the connection and try to connect to the internet.

4. How do I troubleshoot a wireless internet connection issue in Linux?

To troubleshoot a wireless internet connection issue in Linux, you can follow these steps:

• Check your wireless settings: Make sure your wireless network is set up correctly, including the network name and password.
  • Restart your network: Use the command "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" to restart your network.
  • Check your wireless adapter: Make sure your wireless adapter is properly connected and compatible with your Linux system.
  • Update your network drivers: If you recently updated your Linux kernel, your network drivers may not be compatible. Try updating them.
  • Check your firewall settings: Your firewall may be blocking your wireless connection. Make sure the necessary ports are open.

5. How do I set up a wireless internet connection in Linux?

To set up a wireless internet connection in Linux, follow these steps:

• Make sure your wireless adapter is connected and recognized by your Linux system.
  • Open your network settings: This can usually be found in the system settings or by right-clicking on your network icon in the taskbar.
  • Click on the "Wireless" tab and select "Add" to create a new wireless connection.
  • Enter your network details, such as the network name and password.
  • Save the connection and try to connect to the internet.