Maximizing Base Angles for a Fixed Area and Base Length

In summary, the base angles of a triangle with fixed base b and area k can be determined by using the equation B=arctan(x/h) + arctan[(b - x)/h], where x is the distance from one endpoint to the place where the altitude intersects the base produced in both directions, and h = 2k/b. This equation holds for all values of x from -infinity to +infinity. By taking the derivative of B with respect to x and setting it to 0, it can be proven that the triangle with the largest angle opposite b is an isosceles triangle with equal base angles. Therefore, the base angles can be found by taking the tangent of h/(b/2)=4
vadiraja

Homework Statement

The base b and the area k of a triangle are fixed. Determine the base angles if the angle at the vertex opposite b is to be a maximum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer the book gives is arctan(4k/b2)

I looked at the solution to the Regiomontanus' angle maximization problem but I could not modify some part of the solution to get this.

Also I tried to put everything in terms of h and b.(ie. if k and b are constant, h(height) also must be constant. So all the triangles we get with different angles are constructed if you put a base on a line and put a point on the paper such that when you connect the lines to the edge of the base to the point the required constant area should be achieved. Then just move the point in a line parallel to the base. Then becomes clear from a qualitative viewpoint(not rigorous) that the maximum angle should be there when the point intersects the altitude of the base. But still how do I get this base angle.(Use lagrange's multipliers to help or just traditional calculus)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got a system of 4 equations with 5 variables. It sounds worse than it is, because none of the 5 are particularly difficult, compared to http://www.mathematics2.com/Calculus/RegiomontanusAngleMaximizationProblem". That can simplify into one equation with two variables. Be sure to keep the top angle, in my case, [itex]\beta[/itex], so we can maximize [itex]\beta[/itex].

Technical note: My system of equations assumes neither of the base angles are 90. I suspect the top angle is > 90, so will ignore this case for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hints:
Write out which letters are constants.
Write out which letters are variables.

I don't use either side connecting with the top vertex. This implies I'm not using Pythagorean theorem either.

My version is based on Calculus I methods, with an esoteric derivative thrown in. Originally, I had arctangent, but I took deriv. of arccotangent, because it allowed me to put variables in the numerator. That maybe getting ahead of ourselves.

Write out as many equations as you think are relevant. Then pick which ones have the fewest variables & will simplify the most. Show me what all your equations you've got and how you've simplified them.

So the base b and height h are fixed (with k = b*h/2). It is easiest to think of the base as the interval (-b/2,b/2) on the x-axis in an xy-plane, and the vertex as lying on the line y = h, at the point (x,h). The angle you want can be written as angle = f(x) + f(b-x) for some function f that you can figure out.

RGV

It is easiest to think of the base as the interval (-b/2,b/2) on the x-axis in an xy-plane, and the vertex as lying on the line y = h, at the point (x,h).
Isn't that assuming the optimal triangle is isosceles? From how I read the problem, the goal is to prove what you're assuming.

Let's see if OP can now do some work on this problem -- or at least see if OP will respond.

No. It holds for all x from -infinity to +infinity. however, I should have said that the base goes from 0 to b, not from -b/2 to b/2.

RGV

If x be the distance from one endpoint to the place the altitude intersects the base produced in both directions, and B be the angle opposite b, then the following equation holds.

B=arctan(x/h) + arctan[(b - x)/h] where h = 2k/b

This equation even holds if x is negative or larger than b

(take my figure that I have uploaded for the case of x is negative.(I will let you work you the case of x is larger than b). Theta=arctan[(b - x)/h](remember x is negative and this adds on to b). alpha=arctan(x/h). This will make alpha negative. B is just alpha + theta=arctan(x/h) + arctan[(b - x)/h]).)

If we take db/dx and set it to 0, we find that B is maximum when

b^2 - 2bx = 0, i.e. x=b/2

This proves that given the area and the base, the triangle with the largest angle opposite b is the triangle whose altitude bisects the base, i.e. an isosceles triangle with equal base angles.

This implies the tangent of both of the base angles is h/(b/2)=4k/(b^2)

Therefore both of the base angles = arctan[4k/(b^2)]

I hope I did not give away too much.

Attachments

• figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 439
Hariraumurthy said:
If x be the distance from one endpoint to the place the altitude intersects the base produced in both directions, and B be the angle opposite b, then the following equation holds.

B=arctan(x/h) + arctan[(b - x)/h] where h = 2k/b

This equation even holds if x is negative or larger than b

(take my figure that I have uploaded for the case of x is negative.(I will let you work you the case of x is larger than b). Theta=arctan[(b - x)/h](remember x is negative and this adds on to b). alpha=arctan(x/h). This will make alpha negative. B is just alpha + theta=arctan(x/h) + arctan[(b - x)/h]).)

If we take db/dx and set it to 0, we find that B is maximum when

b^2 - 2bx = 0, i.e. x=b/2

This proves that given the area and the base, the triangle with the largest angle opposite b is the triangle whose altitude bisects the base, i.e. an isosceles triangle with equal base angles.

This implies the tangent of both of the base angles is h/(b/2)=4k/(b^2)

Therefore both of the base angles = arctan[4k/(b^2)]

I hope I did not give away too much.

You gave away everything! Now the OP can get full marks without doing any of the required work.

RGV

Congratulations on finding a much simpler solution, than I did. Your equation with arctan is nearly identical to the one I simplified everything into.

The origin is at the point where x & b touch each other, I misread it the first time, for Hariraumurthy's answer.

In hindsight, discovered I should have asked the student to show the work he had done. Then we could have gone straight to the better methods.

For students to learn, they must actually do some work. The retention level goes up significantly when they at try, make some mistakes, ** then find or are told better ways. The post given does little to develop the student's ability to work this exercise, as challenging as it was.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380"

There's a minor or possibly significant mistake in the result given. Keeping the previous paragraph in mind, I leave it to the original poster to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I am a vadiraja's brother and I know that he spent the required effort to try for the solution. He was really beating himself up about it that he could not find the solution to a problem of this nature. He gave ME an idea about the tan-1 and then I did not want to show the solution to him outright so I posted on here instead. He later actually found the solution independent of this and then I showed it to him. He is a very smart boy actually and did the solution for himself.

Last edited:

1. What is a maximum minimum problem?

A maximum minimum problem is a type of optimization problem in which the goal is to find the minimum value of a function subject to constraints. This means finding the best possible outcome under certain conditions.

2. How is a maximum minimum problem solved?

A maximum minimum problem can be solved using a variety of methods, such as calculus, linear programming, or dynamic programming. The specific approach depends on the complexity of the problem and the type of constraints involved.

3. What are some real-life examples of maximum minimum problems?

Some real-life examples of maximum minimum problems include finding the shortest route for a delivery truck, determining the most cost-effective production level for a company, or optimizing the design of a bridge to withstand the maximum possible load.

4. What are the benefits of solving a maximum minimum problem?

Solving a maximum minimum problem can lead to improved efficiency, cost savings, and better decision-making. By finding the optimal solution, you can maximize your desired outcome while minimizing any negative factors or constraints.

5. What are some challenges in solving a maximum minimum problem?

One of the main challenges in solving a maximum minimum problem is determining the appropriate method to use and the most efficient way to solve it. Additionally, the complexity of the problem and the number of constraints involved can also make it challenging to find the optimal solution.