Altitude of Satellite Orbit in 4.4 Hours

In summary: The number in the equation represents the distance between the center of the Earth and the satellite.
Robertoalva
1. At what altitude will a satellite complete a circular orbit of the Earth in 4.4 hours?

Homework Equations

T^2 = ((4π^2)(r^3))/GM

The Attempt at a Solution

Used the equation and plugged all the information, and solved, but for a weird reason it comes wrong, maybe I should convert the hours to minutes?

Physics news on Phys.org
What units did you use for the quantities in your formula?

G = 6.674*10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2

so time may have to be in seconds rather than minutes.

I don't understand why folks think that the units will take care of themselves when making calculations.

cuberoot((((15840seconds)^2)(6.67384E-11 N m^2 Kg^-2)(5.974E24Kg))/(4pi^2)) = r

is that correct?

Last edited:
Robertoalva said:
cuberoot((((15840seconds)^2)(6.67384E-11 N m^2 Kg^-2)(5.974E24Kg))/(4pi^2)) = r

is that correct?
That formula looks good.

Last edited:
That gives an answer in metres. What distance is that calculating, exactly? The question asks for altitude.

I do it, but, the answer that it gives me is totally different from the answer that my practice problem gives

the answer that this equation gives me is something like,13632 and the real answer should be 7260 or something approximated

Robertoalva said:
the answer that this equation gives me is something like,13632 and the real answer should be 7260 or something approximated
That formula gives you the distance r between the center of the Earth and the satellite. To get the altitude of the satellite you have to subtract the Earth radius from r which gives you the correct answer.

thank you!

Robertoalva said:
thank you!
You're welcome.

Robertoalva said:
What distance is that calculating, exactly? The question asks for altitude.
No, I meant what distance does that number represent. I was trying to point out that you were not calculating altitude. Anyway, looks like you have it now.

1. What is the altitude of a satellite orbit in 4.4 hours?

The altitude of a satellite orbit in 4.4 hours depends on the size and speed of the satellite. Typically, satellites in low Earth orbit have altitudes between 160 and 2,000 kilometers. However, satellites in higher orbits, such as geostationary orbit, can have altitudes up to 36,000 kilometers.

2. How is the altitude of a satellite orbit determined?

The altitude of a satellite orbit is primarily determined by the force of gravity and the speed of the satellite. As the satellite moves around the Earth, it experiences a balance between the force of gravity pulling it towards the Earth and the centrifugal force pushing it away. This balance determines the altitude of the satellite's orbit.

3. Can the altitude of a satellite orbit change?

Yes, the altitude of a satellite orbit can change over time due to external forces such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and gravitational forces from other objects in space. These changes may require periodic adjustments to maintain the desired orbit.

4. What is the significance of the altitude of a satellite orbit?

The altitude of a satellite orbit is crucial as it determines the coverage and capabilities of the satellite. Satellites in lower orbits have a shorter orbital period, allowing them to cover a larger area of the Earth's surface, but with less detail. Higher orbits provide more detailed coverage of smaller areas but have longer orbital periods.

5. How does the altitude of a satellite orbit affect its lifespan?

The altitude of a satellite orbit can impact its lifespan in several ways. Satellites in low Earth orbit experience more atmospheric drag, which can cause them to lose altitude and eventually burn up in the atmosphere. On the other hand, satellites in higher orbits can remain in orbit for longer periods due to less atmospheric drag but may still be affected by other external forces that can shorten their lifespan.