Investigating Motion of Rockets & Satellites: Advanced Mechanics Depth Study

In summary, the speaker is a student who is looking for ideas for their first year 12 assignment on advanced mechanics. They mention being interested in investigating the motion of rockets and satellites, as well as circular motion and projectile motion. They also mention wanting to do something unique and challenging within a 2-hour timeframe and with widely available and affordable equipment. Another person suggests doing an investigation on precession, but the speaker decides to focus on the effect of radius on centripetal force using a conical pendulum.
mani88
Homework Statement
Hi, I just got my first year 12 assignment which is a depth study of advanced mechanics. I had one idea of investigating the motion of rockets and satellites. I could even do something with circular motion or projectile motion, taking air resistance into consideration. I just don't what to do or how to start. I wanna try to do something unique and creative that's challenging but not too insane. Please take into consideration that I have to conduct the experiment within 2 hours and use equipment that's widely available and not too expensive Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do? Please tell me something that's doable, the actual investigation I can make on my own. Thanks! :)
Relevant Equations
I can do an investigation on anything related to the following topics.
Projectile motion
2.2 The trajectory of a projectile
2.3 Investigating projectile motion
2.4 Modelling projectile motion

Circular motion
3.1 Uniform circular motion
3.2 Applications of the uniform circular motion model
3.3 Energy and work in uniform circular motion
3.4 Rotation and torque

Motion in gravitational fields
4.1 The gravitational force and the gravitational field
4.2 The orbits of planets and satellites
4.3 Kepler’s laws
4.4 Energy in gravitational fields
Homework Statement: Hi, I just got my first year 12 assignment which is a depth study of advanced mechanics. I had one idea of investigating the motion of rockets and satellites. I could even do something with circular motion or projectile motion, taking air resistance into consideration. I just don't what to do or how to start. I want to try to do something unique and creative that's challenging but not too insane. Please take into consideration that I have to conduct the experiment within 2 hours and use equipment that's widely available and not too expensive Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do? Please tell me something that's doable, the actual investigation I can make on my own. Thanks! :)
Homework Equations: I can do an investigation on anything related to the following topics.
Projectile motion
2.2 The trajectory of a projectile
2.3 Investigating projectile motion
2.4 Modelling projectile motion

Circular motion
3.1 Uniform circular motion
3.2 Applications of the uniform circular motion model
3.3 Energy and work in uniform circular motion
3.4 Rotation and torque

Motion in gravitational fields
4.1 The gravitational force and the gravitational field
4.2 The orbits of planets and satellites
4.3 Kepler’s laws
4.4 Energy in gravitational fields

I was thinking of doing an investigation on the motion of rockets and satellites but I don't know how that's possible to conduct an experiment on. I know I can use a computer simulation but that's pretty lame and I want to do something practical. Other than that the only thing that's left if projectile motion and circular motion, which would be a good topic to do an investigation on.

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Do precession. It'll blow everyone's mind away.
You can buy a top and a small gyroscope to demonstrate.
You can calculate the direction of precession with some vector logic being done on your hands/fingers. (L is τing towards the τ vector continuously).
It'll even blow your mind away because as Walter Lewin of YouTube and MIT fame says: this is not intuitive at all, none of this is intuitive, none of it. He calls it the least intuitive topic in all of physics.

Thank you so much for your reply, but I've decided to investigate the effect of radius on centripetal force using a conical pendulum. :)

1. What is the purpose of investigating the motion of rockets and satellites?

The purpose of investigating the motion of rockets and satellites is to better understand the principles of advanced mechanics and how they apply to real-world situations. This depth study allows scientists to analyze and predict the motion of these objects in space, which is crucial for space exploration and satellite technology.

2. What are the different types of motion that rockets and satellites exhibit?

There are three main types of motion that rockets and satellites exhibit: translational motion, rotational motion, and orbital motion. Translational motion is the movement of an object through space, while rotational motion is the spinning or rotating of an object around its axis. Orbital motion is the motion of an object around a larger body, such as a planet or moon.

3. How do scientists study the motion of rockets and satellites?

Scientists use mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of gravitation, to study the motion of rockets and satellites. They also use computer simulations and real-world data to analyze and predict the behavior of these objects in space.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding the motion of rockets and satellites?

Understanding the motion of rockets and satellites has many practical applications. It allows scientists to accurately launch and control rockets and satellites in space, which is crucial for communication, navigation, and weather forecasting. It also helps in the design and construction of spacecraft and other advanced technologies.

5. What are some current advancements in the study of rocket and satellite motion?

Currently, scientists are using advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and machine learning to further improve our understanding of rocket and satellite motion. This allows for more accurate predictions and control of these objects in space. Additionally, advancements in propulsion systems and materials science are constantly pushing the boundaries of space travel and exploration.