Which Statements about Cold and Hot Dark Matter are Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation is about a practice problem regarding Cold Dark Matter (CDM) and one of its statements. The group discusses the options and their beliefs about which ones are true or false. They also mention an article that talks about the surprise of CDM particles being much warmer than expected. One person asks for clarification about Cold and Hot Dark Energy.
kingwinner
I will be writing my final exam tomorrow evening, and I am currently stuck on the following practice problem. It would be very nice if someone could help me out and I will remain eternally grateful for your help!

1) (Multiple Choice) Which of the following statement(s) about Cold Dark Matter (CDM) is (are) incorrect:
a) CDM particles travel at a speed much lower than c
b) neutrinos are a candidate for CDM
c) simulation models using CDM produce smaller scale structures than those using Hot Dark Matter
d) CDM is likely baryonic
e) CDM particles should be more massive than HOT Dark Matter particles

Well, I believe that a and e are true, b and d are false, but I am totally unsure about c...is it true or false and why? Does anyone know?

Thank you!:smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Does anyone know whether c is true or false?

Thanks!

The option c is true because the more free-streaming (as for HDM) the more suppression of small scale fluctuations. You can read about it here.

a) is my guess. There was an article about this about a year ago:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4679220.stm
an excerpt:

". . .The speed is a big surprise. Current theory had predicted dark matter particles would be extremely cold, moving at a few millimetres per second; but these observations prove the particles must actually be quite warm (in cosmic terms) at 10,000 degrees. . . ."

Still, much less than 'c' by any measure.

What is Cold and Hot Dark Energy?

What is cold dark matter?

Cold dark matter is a type of dark matter that is made up of slow-moving particles and does not interact with light. It is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

What is hot dark matter?

Hot dark matter is a type of dark matter that is made up of very fast-moving particles and does not interact with light. It is thought to make up about 15% of the total matter in the universe.

What is the difference between cold and hot dark matter?

The main difference between cold and hot dark matter is the speed at which the particles move. Cold dark matter particles move slowly and hot dark matter particles move very quickly. Additionally, cold dark matter interacts gravitationally with normal matter, while hot dark matter does not.

What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter?

There is strong evidence for the existence of dark matter based on its gravitational effects on visible matter in galaxies and the large-scale structure of the universe. Other evidence includes the presence of gravitational lensing, the rotation curves of galaxies, and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Why is the study of dark matter important?

The study of dark matter is important because it can help us better understand the formation and evolution of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe. Additionally, understanding dark matter could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics.