Tiny blue window that comes with startup

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the blue window that comes up when your computer starts up is probably trying to hide and is caused by a process. You can try to find the process that is causing the blue window and stop it from running.
Physics_wiz
I just noticed that there's a tiny blue window that comes when I start my computer. It goes to the top left corner so it's very easy to miss (it's def. trying to hide). I saw it before but I thought it was something in the background...I pulled it today by accident and realized it's a window. Any ideas on which process might cause this? I pulled it to the middle of the screen and took a screen shot. It's in the attached picture...I also couldn't maximize it or expand it or anything.

Attachments

• blue_thing.JPG
    blue_thing.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 435
Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking for the task in the task manager? How about using alt+shift or alt+enter to size it? Right clicking? Are you getting a lot of adware?

Yep, I tried the task manager. I kept ending processes to see if ending the right one would close it and then know which ones causes it but none of them closed it. I kept ending processes until I got a "System Shutdown" message. I believe my comp is adaware free... I ran a total system virus scan and adaware scan about 4 weeks ago. I haven't tried alt+shift or alt+enter, but I tried right clicking and nothing happens. All I can do is move it around and alt+f4 to close it.

Also try your startup folder and the "run" folder in system registry.

Did you stop a program from starting up in MSCONFIG? It looks like a program is trying to run but not aloud to load completely and what is left is what you see on your desktop. At what point during the startup process does it appear? You might want to look at the startup tab in MSCONFIG and shut off only programs you recognize that it could be. Be careful not to uncheck anything that you don't recognize. Hope this helps.

I downloaded CodeStuff Starter and unchecked a few processes, but the window is still there. I attached a screen shot from the program so that anyone can see if they can recognize the one that might be causing it.

Attachments

• starter.JPG
    starter.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 425
I would be more aggressive in unchecking processes: uncheck everything and see if the window is gone. If not then you need to look elsewhere. If so then re-check the top half of all processes and reboot to see the result; you can repeat this with the bottom half. Continue a binary search this way until you pinpoint it.

out of whack said:
I would be more aggressive in unchecking processes: uncheck everything and see if the window is gone. If not then you need to look elsewhere. If so then re-check the top half of all processes and reboot to see the result; you can repeat this with the bottom half. Continue a binary search this way until you pinpoint it.

I did that and it turns out to be the "Regscan" process. It's in C:\Windows\system32 though..I doubt it's a virus or anything similar. I'll do more exploring online to see if it's a virus or not. Thanks!

I deleted it from the system 32 folder.

What is Ad-Aware SE? WinStartup Manager

"www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php?PHPSESSID=110f6306e5c041f2db9570949997bc25"

What is Ad-Aware SE?
Next

Ad-Aware SE is the latest version of our award winning and industry leading line of antispyware solutions and represents the next generation in Spyware detection and removal. It is quite simply the most advanced solution available to protect your privacy. With the all new Code Sequence Identification (CSI) technology that we have developed, you will not only be protected from known content, but will also have advanced protection against many of their unknown variants.

Designed for Windows 98, 98SE, Win ME, Win NT 4, Win 2000, and Win XP Home/Professional you can be sure that you will have the most effective privacy protection that has ever been offered by Lavasoft. Ad-Aware SE Personal edition will comprehensively scan your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known Data-mining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Scumware, selected Keyloggers, selected traditional Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components.

See the What's new in Ad-Aware SE? chapter for a detailed description of the improvements we have built into our latest version of Personal edition.

:smile: the software is FreeWare it will help you out.
"www.e-systems.ro/dwin_startup_manager.htm"

Look at HKLM\Run
And at HKCU\Rum
You see the Application and Path

if you need more help E-mail me

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the tiny blue window that pops up when I start my computer?

The tiny blue window that appears when you start your computer is called a startup window. It typically contains important information about your computer's system and settings, and may also include shortcuts to frequently used programs.

Why does the tiny blue window keep appearing every time I start my computer?

The tiny blue window appears every time you start your computer because it is set to open automatically in your computer's startup programs. You can change this setting by going to your computer's system preferences and adjusting the startup programs.

Can I customize the information or shortcuts in the tiny blue window?

Yes, you can customize the content of the tiny blue window. In most cases, you can right-click on the window and select "Edit" or "Customize" to make changes. You may also be able to drag and drop items into the window or add new shortcuts by clicking on the "+" or "Add" button.

Is the tiny blue window necessary for my computer to function?

No, the tiny blue window is not necessary for your computer to function. It is simply a convenient way to access important information and frequently used programs at startup. If you prefer, you can disable the startup window or remove it from your computer's startup programs.

Why is the tiny blue window different on my friend's computer?

The content and appearance of the tiny blue window may vary depending on your computer's operating system and settings. It is also possible that your friend has customized their startup window, or is using a different program or application for their startup window.