"Cp=Cv+R" or "Cp-Cv=R"....Whats the name of this Equation or Relation?

• Thread starter DeLiRioUsVAMP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: The equation is Mayer's Formula, and it states that the difference between the pressures of gas molecules, Cp, and the volumes of gas molecules, CV, is equal to the gas constant, R.
DeLiRioUsVAMP
hi m a new member here...actually i m in a great confusion...please solve dis confusion fer me...its related to THERMODYNAMICS...
my question is..
"Cp=Cv+R" or "Cp-Cv=R"...Whats the name of this Equation or Relation?I'll be waiting anxiously as well as curiously for the answer...I have been searching all this online and now my eyes are burning red...so I hope u people will help me...My last hope may be because i really want answers to these questions...i think they will be easy fer u ppl to answer ...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've obviously not been trying that long, one can find the answers within 10 seconds using Google.

I'm not going to do your work for you.

i have been trying long...but somewhere they didnt give the equation with the defination and sumwhere there was da equation...i had a doubt abt it but then there wasn't mentioned anything about it...

ok forget about the first two questions...they are not that imp fer me but da LAst quesss pleasezzzzzzzz answer that...and search it fer yerself on google too...i m sure u won't get the name fer da equation...atleast i didnt get it :((((

Do it yourself,

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mayer's+Formula

eeeeeeee! i hav tried dis out...in actual i wanted da name of that equation n i came across sum mayer formula n relation...n since i m having a headache i cudnt get on it so ...the defination of mayer's formula z " a formula which states that the difference between Cp n Cv is equal to R divided by the molecualr weight of the gas...

Now first i was thinking ..may be dats da Name of the equation..but then dis divididng da molecular weight thingy ,,,confused me :(((...

DeLiRioUsVAMP said:
eeeeeeee! i hav tried dis out...in actual i wanted da name of that equation n i came across sum mayer formula n relation...n since i m having a headache i cudnt get on it so ...the defination of mayer's formula z " a formula which states that the difference between Cp n Cv is equal to R divided by the molecualr weight of the gas...
Almost, R is called the molar gas constant.

Last edited:
but i thought R is da Universal Gas constant? i mean lyk iznt R da gas constant

i mean to ask lyk...molar gas constant,gas constant and universal gas constant...all are da names of R? no difference in these 3?

seriously tell me

Cp-Cv=r where "r" is the "specific gas constant" and it is equal to "molar gas constant divided by molecular weight of the gas"

and according to the defination of Mayer's formula ...this is the Mayer's formula mathematical form "Cp-Cv=r"but what i actually need help on is that i want to know the name of this relation/equation

Cp-Cv=R
or
Cp=Cv+Rso please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
Almost, R is called the molar gas constant which can be found by dividing the gas constant by the molar mass.

What is the thermodynamic explanation for Cp-Cv=R ?

GT1 said:
What is the thermodynamic explanation for Cp-Cv=R ?
My bad, I realized once I'd posted it and edited my post about ten minutes ago. Apologies for the confusion.

So...can anyone now please tell me that what is the name of this equation or relation "Cp-Cv=R or Cp=Cv+R"

I would really be so very thankful to you people

DeLiRioUsVAMP said:
what is the name of this equation

Look at the Google search that Hootenanny gave you in post #4 of this thread.

DeLiRioUsVAMP said:
Two questions...they are not that imp fer me but da LAst quesss pleasezzzzzzzz answer that...and search it fer yerself on google too...i m sure u won't get the name fer da equation...atleast i didnt get it :((((

... and seriously, please write in English. It doesn't take long to type words out in full, and it saves a lot of annoyance to the reader (i.e. the person you are asking to help you!)

1. What is the significance of Cp=Cv+R or Cp-Cv=R?

The equation Cp=Cv+R or Cp-Cv=R is known as the Mayer's relation. It is used to calculate the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas at constant pressure (Cp) and constant volume (Cv). It relates the two specific heat capacities to the universal gas constant (R).

2. What is the difference between Cp=Cv+R and Cp-Cv=R?

The equations Cp=Cv+R and Cp-Cv=R are mathematically equivalent and both represent the Mayer's relation. The only difference is that Cp=Cv+R is used when calculating specific heat capacity at constant pressure, while Cp-Cv=R is used for specific heat capacity at constant volume.

3. How is the Mayer's relation derived?

The Mayer's relation can be derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. By considering a reversible process for an ideal gas, the Mayer's relation can be derived by using the ideal gas law and the definition of specific heat capacity.

4. Can the Mayer's relation be applied to real gases?

The Mayer's relation is derived for ideal gases, which follow the ideal gas law at all temperatures and pressures. Real gases deviate from this behavior, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. However, the Mayer's relation can still be used as an approximation for real gases under certain conditions.

5. How is the Mayer's relation used in thermodynamics?

The Mayer's relation is an important tool in thermodynamics, as it allows for the calculation of specific heat capacities at constant pressure and volume, which are essential parameters in studying the behavior of a system. It is also used in various thermodynamic processes and calculations, such as in the calculation of enthalpy and internal energy changes.