Work, temperature and energy in a constant pressure process

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion around the use of Cp and Cv in thermodynamics. The individual was able to understand the process and use logical reasoning to derive equations for calculating temperature, internal energy change, and work. However, there were some mistakes in the math and the correct equations for the first law of thermodynamics were provided. The conversation also mentioned that the teacher used ΔT instead of T2 in their calculations, resulting in slightly different values for ΔU and work. However, the final temperature was correct in both cases.
Krokodrile
Homework Statement
8 pounds of a gas with cp = 0.25 btu/lbm(ºF) and cv = 0.18 btu/lbm(ºF) that is at 100 ºF, is placed in a piston cylinder and 500 btu is delivered as heat in a no-flow process at constant pressure. Determine the final temperature, the internal energy change, and the work done
Relevant Equations
Q=m*C*△T
W = △U + Q
So, the Cp and Cv its very confusing for me. But, i understand what's its happening in this process, so, i use the logic and first i obtain a ecuation for obtain the final temperature ecuaticon:

Q=m*C*△T
Q=m*C*(T2-T1)
T2=(Q+T1)/(m*C)

If the process its in constant pressure, i use the Cp valor:

T2=(500 +100ºF)/(8 pounds * 0.25btu/lbm(ºF)
T2 = 300 ºF

So, i determinate the internal energy change using this ecuacion:

△U= 36 Cv*△T
△U = 0.18 btu/lbm(ºF) * (300 ºF - 100 ºF)
△U = 36 btu/lbm(ºF)

For the work:

W = △U + Q
W = 36 btu/lbm(ºF) `+ 500 btu
W = 536

I know that my results its incorrect, but these "Cp and Cv" confusing to me.

I need some help please :).

Physics news on Phys.org
You had the right idea, but in addition to understanding the physical principles, you need to do the math correctly. $$T_2=T_1+\frac{Q}{MC_p}=100+\frac{500}{(8)(0.25)}=350\ F$$
$$\Delta U=MC_v(350-100)=(8)(0.21)(250)=420\ BTU$$Your equation for the first law is incorrect. It should read $$\Delta U=Q-W$$where W is the work done by the system on its surroundings. $$W=Q-\Delta U=500-420=80\ BTU$$

Chestermiller said:
You had the right idea, but in addition to understanding the physical principles, you need to do the math correctly. $$T_2=T_1+\frac{Q}{MC_p}=100+\frac{500}{(8)(0.25)}=350\ F$$
$$\Delta U=MC_v(350-100)=(8)(0.21)(250)=420\ BTU$$Your equation for the first law is incorrect. It should read $$\Delta U=Q-W$$where W is the work done by the system on its surroundings. $$W=Q-\Delta U=500-420=80\ BTU$$
Ohhh, thank you so much. I see now where its my mistake, well ;) I am happy to understand by myself this problem.

Chestermiller said:
Excuse me Sir. In the class, when the teacher give us the answer of the problems, she use the △T for determinate the △U and W, so, the results was different:

△T = △H / m*Cp = 500 BTU/ (8lb) (0.25 BTU/lbmF) = 250 F

△U = m*Cv*△T = (8 lb) (0.18 BTU/lbmF) (250 F) = 360 BTU

W = Q - △U = 500 BTU - 360 BTU = 140 BTU

Its this correct? why she use △T and not T2?

The final temperatura its correct in both cases.

Thank you for read.

Krokodrile said:
Excuse me Sir. In the class, when the teacher give us the answer of the problems, she use the △T for determinate the △U and W, so, the results was different:

△T = △H / m*Cp = 500 BTU/ (8lb) (0.25 BTU/lbmF) = 250 F

△U = m*Cv*△T = (8 lb) (0.18 BTU/lbmF) (250 F) = 360 BTU
The version of Cv that I remember seeing was Cv=0.21. With 0.18, this is correct.
Krokodrile said:
W = Q - △U = 500 BTU - 360 BTU = 140 BTU

Its this correct? why she use △T and not T2?
Why do you think she has not gotten W calculated correctly. It is correct.
Krokodrile said:
The final temperatura its correct in both cases.
Of course the final temperature is correct in both cases. There is only one final temperature.
Krokodrile said:
Thank you for read.

1. How does work relate to temperature and energy in a constant pressure process?

In a constant pressure process, work is directly related to temperature and energy. This is because work is the transfer of energy from one form to another, and in a constant pressure process, the energy is transferred in the form of heat. As the temperature increases, the amount of work done also increases, and vice versa.

2. What is the role of temperature in a constant pressure process?

Temperature plays a crucial role in a constant pressure process as it determines the amount of heat transferred and the resulting change in energy. The higher the temperature, the more heat is transferred and the greater the change in energy. This is why temperature is often controlled and monitored in industrial processes.

3. How does energy change in a constant pressure process?

In a constant pressure process, the change in energy is determined by the amount of heat transferred. If heat is added to the system, the energy increases, and if heat is removed, the energy decreases. This change in energy is directly related to the temperature, as mentioned earlier.

4. What is the formula for calculating work in a constant pressure process?

The formula for calculating work in a constant pressure process is W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This formula is derived from the definition of work as the force applied over a distance, and in a constant pressure process, the force is equal to the pressure and the distance is equal to the change in volume.

5. How does a constant pressure process differ from other thermodynamic processes?

A constant pressure process differs from other thermodynamic processes in that the pressure remains constant throughout the process. This means that the volume can change, and work can be done, without affecting the pressure. In other processes, such as a constant volume process, the pressure may change as the volume changes.