How to run two monitors on one system?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: Dual View, Horizontal Span, Vertical Span, and Rotated Monitors...are all very simple; drivers are all included in the OS.
jackmell
Under Windows, what does it take to hook-up two monitors so that when I move a window off the right side of monitor 1, it appears on the left side of monitor 2 sitting on the right side of monitor 1?Any of you guys have that set up? If so, is it useful or mostly just a play-thing? Need two cards or do you need a special card with two video outputs?

I assume it require an operating system upgrade and drivers.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I have a two monitor video card, based on Radeon X1950 Pro. No need for special upgrades, it is enough to install drivers. Windows already have some support for more than one monitor - since at least W2K. Before I had some other Radeon, and earlier it was Matrox G400 Dual Head or something like that.

I think I have read it is also possible to install more than one video card, but I have no idea about details.

Ok, thanks. What about the user-interface? Do you just use the mouse to move smoothly a window across one screen to the right, and that window smoothly begins appearing from the left side of the other screen? Or do you operate the monitors essentially independently, opening and closing windows on each one? For example, when I boot-up, and all my icons get drawn on the screen. So with a dual-monitor, that would happen on just one screen, say the left one, then as I start opening, moving windows, I can just slide them across to the other monitor?

For the most part, theses days dual monitor setups are quite easy. One typically needs a dual-capable video card. Many "aftermarket" cards are capable of dual output. I have a Radeon 4850. I believe I got mine for under $100 off of Newegg.

There are a few different options for exactly how you want to configure your monitors. Most people run something called Dual-View, where each monitor acts separately, but you can move between them easily.

Another common is horizontal span, where both monitors act as one. The main difference between the two is that in the former a maximized screen will only take up one monitor, whereas in the latter full screen encompasses both (noting that horizontal span is usually only available if both monitors are running at the same resolution).

There is also options for rotated monitors and "vertical spans". In all honesty, in this day in age, I consider a dual-monitor setup almost necessary. Try one out and you'll immediately see how much more efficient you can be (at work or play) with minimal investment.

minger said:
For the most part, theses days dual monitor setups are quite easy. One typically needs a dual-capable video card. Many "aftermarket" cards are capable of dual output. I have a Radeon 4850. I believe I got mine for under $100 off of Newegg.

There are a few different options for exactly how you want to configure your monitors. Most people run something called Dual-View, where each monitor acts separately, but you can move between them easily.

Another common is horizontal span, where both monitors act as one. The main difference between the two is that in the former a maximized screen will only take up one monitor, whereas in the latter full screen encompasses both (noting that horizontal span is usually only available if both monitors are running at the same resolution).

There is also options for rotated monitors and "vertical spans". In all honesty, in this day in age, I consider a dual-monitor setup almost necessary. Try one out and you'll immediately see how much more efficient you can be (at work or play) with minimal investment.

Ok, thanks. Not something I want to do immediately, but it sounds very tempting. :)

This is my desktop:

2monitors_desktop.jpg

My left monitor is positioned about half a feet lower (I have a fancy computer desk), and what you see reflects that fact (you can position monitors any way you like in operating system).

Borek said:
This is my desktop:

2monitors_desktop.jpg

My left monitor is positioned about half a feet lower (I have a fancy computer desk), and what you see reflects that fact (you can position monitors any way you like in operating system).
I don't understand. Where's the vertical gap between the two monitors? No way you could post a picture of the actual hardware huh? Guess maybe you'd have to straighten out. Mine's cluttered. Also, do you need special monitors for a dual system or will any do. I just bought a 23" "Life is Good" LCD monitor. If I get the Radeon card, could I just get another monitor just like it, and bam! Got duals? :)

Is the software easy to install and configure?

That's how it looks on the desk.

my_desk1.jpg

Installation of the drivers was not more complicated than installation of drivers for a single monitor

Oh, I see. So you're using dual-view and not horizontal span. And didn't bother to tidy-up neither. :)

Thanks for takin' the time to show me that. It's tempting for me not so much to have them but something rather qualitatively different than anything I have ever worked on with computers. Yeah, if I got that . . . Jack's back. :)

Last edited:
jackmell said:
And didn't bother to tidy-up neither. :)

Huh? This is a tidied-up version. There was even a place for a cat.

Last edited:
LOL! I didn't notice the cat before, but now I see it staring out from under the shelf!

the ati HD5770 has dual HDMIs and dual DVI, this 4 connections. quite bada$$ for 120$.

http://www.provantage.com/xfx-hd577xznfc~7PINE0JE.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I set up dual monitors on my computer?

To set up dual monitors on your computer, you will need to have two monitors and a video card that supports multiple displays. First, connect both monitors to your computer using the appropriate cables. Then, go to your computer's display settings and select "extend" display mode. This will allow you to use both monitors as one large desktop.

2. Can I use different types of monitors for dual display?

Yes, you can use different types of monitors for dual display as long as your computer's video card supports it. However, keep in mind that using two different types of monitors may result in different resolutions and display quality.

3. How do I switch between my primary and secondary monitor?

To switch between your primary and secondary monitor, you can use the "display settings" or "display properties" option on your computer. You can also use keyboard shortcuts, such as "Windows key + P" on Windows or "Command + F2" on Mac, to toggle between the two monitors.

4. Can I use dual monitors for gaming?

Yes, you can use dual monitors for gaming as long as your computer's video card supports it. Some games also have built-in options for dual monitor setups, allowing you to have a wider viewing area and more immersive gaming experience.

5. Is it possible to have different backgrounds on each monitor?

Yes, it is possible to have different backgrounds on each monitor. You can either choose a different background for each monitor in the display settings or use a third-party software to customize your desktop backgrounds for each monitor.