What Forces are Involved in Torque and Equilibrium Problems?

In summary, the Homework Statement is trying to find a solution for a problem involving three equations and four forces.
odie5533

Homework Statement

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/248/sdaft7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The arrows on the diagram are drawn in, as are the labels (except for the angles).
[tex]\sum F_{x} = P_{x} - Tcos30 = 0[/tex]
[tex]T = \frac{P_{x}}{cos30}[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_{y} = N_{p} - 8900N - 650g - Tsin30 = 0[/tex]
[tex]N_{p} = 15274N + Tsin30[/tex]
[tex]N_{p} = 15274N + P_{x}tan30[/tex]

I think I'm missing forces, and probably making up a few. If anyone could check them over before I continue I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you're off to a good start. make sure you have the weight of the box in kg. now you need a third equation, which comes from summing the torques about the pivot and setting that equal to 0.

Are all the forces right though? Am I missing any?
Here's the third equation:
The angle between the strut and the tension from the cable is 16 degress: 180 - 30 - (180 - 46) = 16
[tex]\sum\tau = Tlsin16 - \frac{1}{2}l650g(cos46) - 8900l(cos46) = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{P_{x}}{cos30}lsin16 = 325lg(cos46) + 8900l(cos46)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{P_{x}}{cos30}sin16 = 325g(cos46) + 8900(cos46)[/tex]
[tex]Px = \frac{325g(cos46) + 8900(cos46)}{sin16} = 26381N[/tex]
[tex]T = \frac{26381}{cos30} = 30462N[/tex]
[tex]N_{p} = 15274 + P_{x}tan30 = 15274 + 26381(tan30) = 30505N[/tex]
[tex]P_{tot} = 40330N[/tex]
[tex]\phi = 49 degrees[/tex]

Last edited:
i just noticed. in your summation of the forces in the y direction, you have the mass of the strut. mass is not a force, so it shouldn't be included in the summation of the forces. you have to find the weight of the strut. (i made a bad mistake by saying that the weight of the crate should be in kg. mass and weight are not the same thing). same deal in your summation of torques. torque is defined as the force times the moment arm, not the mass times moment arm. i think you should have it though. just play around with your three equations till you get it.

When I listed 600g, I meant the g as in 9.81 not grams or kilograms. When I computed the answers, I multiplied things by 9.81 wherever g is. I use g so that I get a more accurate answer. Am I using all the right forces though? Tension in cable pulling down and to the left, normal force from pivot on the strut pushing up and to the right, weight of strut going down, and weight of crate going down. Is that all?

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is the product of force and the perpendicular distance from the axis to the point of force application.

How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of force application. The formula for torque is T = F x d.

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero and no acceleration.

How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium if the sum of the forces acting on it is zero and the sum of the torques acting on it is also zero. This means that the forces are balanced and there is no rotation occurring.

How does torque relate to equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the torques acting on it must be zero. This means that all external forces acting on the object must be balanced and there is no net torque causing rotation.