Configuring a Triggering Device for a Mouse Trap Attached to a Can

• Thread starter Juanka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the conversation involves a project that requires a can with a lid and a height limit of 2*d. The can must also tip after 30 seconds. The speaker has attached a mouse trap to the can but needs help with a triggering device. They have tried using a kitchen analog timer with inconsistent results and are looking for suggestions, such as using a slow fuse string or an electronic timer with a solenoid or motor.
Juanka
I have a project that I am working on that has instructions as follows:

1. Nothing can be protruding form the can and the can must have a lid.

2. The the height of the can cannot exceed 2*d.

3. After the lid is shut on the can it must "tip/ flip" after 30 seconds.

I have a mouse trap attached to a can and it causes the can to tip, but I need help on configuring a "triggering" device. I have tried using a kitchen analog timer however this has not resulted in effective results (sometimes it works sometimes not). Any ideas on another device to trigger the mouse trap?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your can is not airtight, perhaps use a slow fuse string that holds a compressed spring or your mousetrap. Light the string (fuse) at the start, then 30 seconds later the fuse burns to where it cannot hold the spring's compression anymore, releasing the spring and it's mass.

If you go the electronic timer route, wire up the venerable 555 timer chip to give a 30 sec delay and trigger a solenoid or motor. You could use the battery as part of your shifting mass.

for what it's worth...!

1. What materials do I need to configure a triggering device for a mouse trap attached to a can?

You will need a mouse trap, a can, a triggering mechanism such as a string or wire, and bait to attract the mouse.

2. How do I attach the mouse trap to the can?

First, make sure the can is securely placed on a flat surface. Then, position the mouse trap on top of the can, making sure it is centered and stable. You can use tape or glue to secure the trap to the can if needed.

3. How do I set up the triggering mechanism?

Attach one end of the triggering mechanism (string or wire) to the trap and the other end to the can. Make sure the mechanism is taut and will release the trap when triggered.

4. What type of bait should I use for the mouse trap?

The best bait for a mouse trap is something that is attractive to mice, such as peanut butter, cheese, or small pieces of fruit. Make sure to use a small amount, as too much can cause the mouse to take the bait without triggering the trap.

5. How can I make sure the mouse trap is set up correctly?

Once you have attached the trap to the can and set up the triggering mechanism, test the trap by gently pulling on the mechanism. The trap should snap shut easily and quickly. You can also observe the trap for a period of time to see if it is functioning properly.