Projectile Angle

by hechen
Tags: angle, projectile
hechen
Jun2-11, 08:23 PM
P: 6
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
This is all that is given:
If the range of a projectile's trajectory is seven times larger than the height of the trajectory, then what was the angle of launch with respect to the horizontal? (Assume a flat and horizontal landscape.)

2. Relevant equations

X = 7y

Y= Y

Arctan (Y/X)

3. The attempt at a solution

Arctan (1/7) ~ 8.13 deg

This answer was wrong according homework website i'm using
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
gneill
Jun2-11, 09:31 PM
Mentor
P: 11,409
The projectile's trajectory is not a straight line. What shape is it? What equations govern the motion in the X and Y directions?
hechen
Jun2-11, 10:11 PM
There were no more information given then what I posted. Which is puzzling.

gneill
Jun2-11, 10:18 PM
Mentor

Projectile Angle

Quote Quote by hechen View Post
There were no more information given then what I posted. Which is puzzling.
The only additional information required is the assumption that the projectile is moving under the influence of gravity near the Earth's surface. So acceleration is g in the vertical (Y) direction.
hechen
Jun2-11, 10:40 PM
I would then need to know time or was way to figure out time which is not possible in this case.
"If the range of a projectile's trajectory is seven times larger than the height of the trajectory, then what was the angle of launch with respect to the horizontal? (Assume a flat and horizontal landscape.)"
If the movement here is not linear the angle of the projectile depends on time.
gneill
Jun2-11, 10:59 PM
Mentor
You can work with symbols rather than numbers. You're given a ratio of two distances that occur at specific times in a projectile's lifetime (max height and range), and you should be able to derive expressions for each. Also, the only angle you're interested in is the one that occurs at the instant of launch.

I'll give you a hint. The launch angle is related to the x and y components of the initial velocity. If you assume that the components are vx and vy, then the angle is atan(vy/vx). So what you're aiming for is the relationship between vx and vy in order to satisfy the height-range requirement. I'd suggest finding expressions for the maximum height and the range as functions of vx and vy.

Register to reply