How to calculate center of mass of the polymer from atomic coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the center of mass and radius of gyration for a polymer using atomic coordinates. The formula for center of mass is provided, and further instructions on how to calculate radius of gyration are given. The conversation also addresses a mistake in the computed result and provides corrections.
Kimko

Homework Statement

Please help me calculate the center of mass of the polymer (radius) from atomic coordinates (more than 2000) given in Armstrongs. Can anyone help with the formula? I need to calculate the radius of gyration of the polymer. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass is equal to the sum the atoms positions times their masses all divided by the total mass.

Can you please show me how to calculate it using the following coordinates?
Coordinates
ATOM 60 -4.062 10.538 11.856 H
ATOM 61 -2.514 15.625 6.177 N
ATOM 62 -2.780 16.719 5.186 C
ATOM 63 -3.809 17.716 5.736 C
ATOM 64 -4.444 17.483 6.747 O

Thank you.

(-4.062 10.538 11.856)*mass(H)+(-2.514 15.625 6.177)*mass(N)+ etc etc. Then divide that by mass(H)+mass(N)+mass(C)+mass(C)+mass(O). To multiply or divide a vector by a number just multiply or divide each component. To add two vectors add component by component.

I did it the way you sad and my result is -0.46791 20.58064 19.18521 =Ravg.
Please help how I put it into my formula: Rg= [1/N sum/Ri-Ravg/^2]^(1/2)

Your result is wrong. For example, you've got z=19.18. That's bigger than all of your other z coordinates. Show me how you computed the z coordinate of the center of mass and I'll tell what you did wrong.

I used all 2000 atomic coordinates in excel, not only those 5. I need to know how to convert
my result in one number that I can use in my formula to calculate Rg. Thanks.

Well then. So you've got R_avg. Then you just have to sum (R_i-R_avg)^2. If R_i=(xi,yi,zi) and R_avg=(xa,ya,za), (R_i-R_avg)^2=(xi-xa)^2+(yi-ya)^2+(zi-za)^2.

Related to How to calculate center of mass of the polymer from atomic coordinates?

1. What is the center of mass of a polymer?

The center of mass of a polymer is the average position of all the atoms in the polymer molecule. It is the point where the molecule can be balanced without any rotation.

2. Why is it important to calculate the center of mass of a polymer?

Calculating the center of mass of a polymer is important for understanding its physical properties and behavior. It can also provide insight into how the polymer will interact with other molecules or surfaces.

3. How do I calculate the center of mass of a polymer?

The center of mass of a polymer can be calculated by taking the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the atoms in the polymer. This can be done using a mathematical formula or with specialized software.

4. Can the center of mass of a polymer change over time?

Yes, the center of mass of a polymer can change over time as the molecule moves and rotates. This can be affected by external forces or interactions with other molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the center of mass of a polymer?

Calculating the center of mass of a polymer assumes that the molecule is rigid and does not deform or change shape. This may not always be the case in real-world situations, so the calculated center of mass may not accurately represent the behavior of the polymer.