Acceleration Problem: Need Help Solving!

In summary, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time and is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It differs from velocity, which is the speed and direction of an object's motion. The main factors that affect acceleration are net force and mass, and it is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion. An example of an acceleration problem and its solution is provided, where a car's acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t.
Workout
Hello I have a link to the problem #2. The directions are shown by letter and I had to assign the letters to the pictures below. I am wrong.. can someone help me please?

http://i.imgur.com/lqEZFfl.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
1 and 2 is correct, but not 3,4 and 5.
Think of the sponge as a spring (backed by a solid material that does not move or give).

Related to Acceleration Problem: Need Help Solving!

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, typically represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How does acceleration differ from velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object is changing its speed or direction.

3. What factors affect acceleration?

The main factors that affect acceleration are the net force applied to an object and the mass of the object. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller the acceleration.

4. How does acceleration relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Acceleration is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the more force applied to an object, the greater the acceleration, and the more mass an object has, the smaller the acceleration.

5. Can you provide an example of an acceleration problem and its solution?

Sure, an example of an acceleration problem would be: A car accelerates from 20 m/s to 50 m/s in 5 seconds. What is the car's acceleration? Using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, we can plug in the given values and solve for acceleration: a = (50 m/s - 20 m/s) / 5 s = 6 m/s^2. Therefore, the car's acceleration is 6 m/s^2 in the given scenario.