Gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same

In summary, the conversation is about finding the simplified expression for ∇(E \cdot E), where E is the electric field written as E_{0}(exp(i(kx-ωt)). The question is whether to take the gradient of the magnitude or the square of the magnitude, and the suggestion is to explore the vector identities to find the appropriate expression.
wobblybird
Hi,

I am trying find the simplified expression of this:
∇(E [itex]\cdot[/itex] E)

Where E is the electric field that can written as [itex]E_{0}[/itex](exp(i(kx-ωt))

I know that since the two vectors are the same => E [itex]\cdot[/itex] E = [itex]||E||^{2}[/itex]

Do I take the gradient of the magnitude then? It just doesn't feel right. Or should it be something like 2ik[itex]E_{0}[/itex]^2?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just take the gradient of the square of the magnitude - write it out as a function with no vectors involved, and calculate partial derivatives

1. What is the formula for calculating the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same?

The formula for calculating the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same is:
∇(a·a) = 2a

2. Why is the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same important?

The gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same is important because it represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent of a scalar function in that vector's direction. This is useful in optimization problems and determining the direction of maximum change.

3. How is the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same calculated?

The gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same is calculated by taking the derivative of the dot product with respect to each component of the vector and then combining them into a vector using the identity ∇(a·b) = b∇a + a∇b.

4. Can the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same be negative?

Yes, the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product and a negative gradient.

5. How does the gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same relate to the angle between the vectors?

The gradient of the dot product of two vectors that are the same is directly proportional to the angle between the vectors. As the angle between the vectors increases, the magnitude of the gradient decreases, and vice versa. This is because the dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the vectors multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.