BLUE (best linear unbiased estimator) in practice

• Thread starter Charlotte87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses a linear model and an estimator for estimating the slope of the linear relation between Y and X. The estimator is shown to be unbiased and the sampling variance is derived. The least square estimator of β is also derived and its sampling variance is compared to that of the proposed estimator. The process of calculating the sample variance is also discussed.
Charlotte87

Homework Statement

Let the linear model be [itex]Y_{i}=\alpha + X_{i}\beta + \varepsilon [/itex]. Let the assumptions of the linear model hold. Suppose that the fixed values of X in a data are as follows: [itex] X_{1} - 1, X_{2} - 2, X_{3} - 3, X_{4} - 4 [/itex]. An econometrician proposes the following estimator to estimate the slope of the linear relation between Y and X:

[itex]\beta^{*}=\frac{Y_{4}+2Y_{3} - 2Y_{2} - Y_{1}}{5} [/itex]

i) Is this estimator unbiased?
ii) Derive the sampling variance of this estimator
iii) Derive the least square estimator of β and its sampling variance
iv) Compare the sampling variance of β* with the sampling variance of the least square estimator

The Attempt at a Solution

i) So far I have shown that β* is unbiased by plugging in for Y(i) (In the sense that [itex] Y_{1} = \alpha + X_{1}\beta + \varepsilon [/itex] and so on, and then plugged in the values for X. I then get β*=β, hence I guess that E(β*)=E(β)=β. Thus, the estimator is unbiased.

ii) Here I have tried to set up something like this, but I do not think its right...
[itex] var(\beta^{*}) = \frac{1}{5}[Var(Y_{4}) + 2^{2}Var(Y_{3}) - 2^{2}Var(Y_{2}) - Var(Y_{1}) = \frac{1}{5}[\sigma^{2} + 4\sigma^{2} - 4\sigma^{2} - \sigma^{2} [/itex]

I think then I used the assumption that the variance is always constant in a linear regression model..

iii) Here I first wanted to plug in the data into the general OLS-formula for the estimator. However, I believe I do it wrongly here as well... Using this formula:
[itex] \hat{\beta} = \frac{\sum(x_{i}-\bar{x})(y_{i}-\bar{y})}{\sum(x_{i}-\bar{x})^{2}} [/itex]

Calculating the variance first I find (the mean of the x's is 2.5):
[itex] Var(x) = (1-2.5)^{2} + (2-2.5)^{2} + (3-2.5)^{2} + (4-2.5)^{2} = 2.25 +0.25 + 0.25 + 2.25 =5 [/itex]
So far so good. Then I calculate the following:
[itex] \sum(x_{i} - \bar{x})(y_{i}-\bar{y}) = (1-2.5)(Y_{1} - \bar{Y}) + (2-2.5)(Y_{2}-\bar{Y}) + (3-2.5)(Y_{3} - \bar{Y}) + (4-2.5)(Y_{t} - \bar{Y}) = 1.5Y_{4} + 0.5Y_{3} - 0.5 Y_{2} - 1.5 Y_{1} [/itex].

Hence the OLS estimator becomes:

[itex] \hat{\beta} = \frac{1.5Y_{4} + 0.5Y_{3} - 0.5 Y_{2} - 1.5 Y_{1}}{5} [/itex]

Does this sounds right?

I am still unsure here about how to calculate the sample variance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been trying to use the same formula as in ii) but I do not think that is right. iv) I don't know.

1. What is BLUE?

BLUE stands for Best Linear Unbiased Estimator. It is a statistical method used to estimate the true value of a population parameter based on a sample of data. It is considered the best estimator because it has the lowest variance among all unbiased estimators.

2. How is BLUE different from other estimators?

BLUE is different from other estimators in that it is both linear and unbiased. This means that it is a linear combination of the sample data and it has an expected value that is equal to the true population parameter, making it the most accurate estimator.

3. What are the assumptions for using BLUE?

The assumptions for using BLUE include: the data must be normally distributed, the sample must be representative of the population, and the model used for estimation must be linear. Violation of these assumptions can lead to inaccurate estimates.

4. How is BLUE calculated?

BLUE is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the sample data, the model being used, and the assumptions of normality and unbiasedness. The formula minimizes the variance of the estimator, resulting in the best possible estimate for the population parameter.

5. In what situations is BLUE commonly used?

BLUE is commonly used in situations where the population parameter is unknown and needs to be estimated based on a sample of data. It is commonly used in regression analysis, where the goal is to estimate the relationship between variables. It is also used in experimental design and in making predictions based on data.