Is there a C^1 function that satisfies certain conditions?

• Thread starter Calabi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Yes, you do use ##f(x_0,y_0) = 0##; do you see where?In the Azela Peano theorem you just look for condition on ##\phi##. So I don't see.
Calabi

Homework Statement

Let be ##f \in C^{1}(\mathbb{R}^{2}, \mathbb{R})## and ##(x_{0} , y_{0}) \in \mathbb{R}^{2} / f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0##. I suppose ##|\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}| \ge |\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}|(2)##.
I'm looking for ##\phi \in C^{1}(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R}) / \forall x \in \mathbb{R} f(x, \phi(x)) = 0## and ##\phi(x_{0}) = y_{0}##.

Homework Equations

##(x_{0} , y_{0}) \in \mathbb{R}^{2} / f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0##
##|\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}| \ge |\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}|##

The Attempt at a Solution

If a such solution exists we necssarly have ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, \phi'(x) \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, \phi(x)) + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, \phi(x)) = 0 (1)##.
We can stated ##x \rightarrow (x, \phi(x))## is injective so if we look its image we perhaps make a variable changement in (1). But I don't think it's usefull.
And I don't see how the majoration (2) is usefull.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calabi said:

Homework Statement

Let be ##f \in C^{1}(\mathbb{R}^{2}, \mathbb{R})## and ##(x_{0} , y_{0}) \in \mathbb{R}^{2} / f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0##. I suppose ##|\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}| \ge |\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}|(2)##.
I'm looking for ##\phi \in C^{1}(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R}) / \forall x \in \mathbb{R} f(x, \phi(x)) = 0## and ##\phi(x_{0}) = y_{0}##.

Homework Equations

##(x_{0} , y_{0}) \in \mathbb{R}^{2} / f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0##
##|\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}| \ge |\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}|##

The Attempt at a Solution

If a such solution exists we necssarly have ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, \phi'(x) \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, \phi(x)) + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x, \phi(x)) = 0 (1)##.
We can stated ##x \rightarrow (x, \phi(x))## is injective so if we look its image we perhaps make a variable changement in (1). But I don't think it's usefull.
And I don't see how the majoration (2) is usefull.

It might not be "usefull", but it could be "useful". Anyway, if the inequality ##|f_y| >|f_x| \; \forall (x,y)## were strict (which your given one is not), then you would be allowed to divide by ##f_y##, and so get the differential equation
[tex] \phi'(x) = -F(x,\phi(x)), \; F(x,y) \equiv \frac{f_x(x,y)}{f_y(x,y)} [/tex]
If you know some theorems about the existence and smoothness of solutions to differential equations, you could use those in this problem.

You would still need to worry about what happens if the inequality is not strict and there are points where ##f_x(x,y) = f_y(x,y) = 0##.

If you do not have access to theorems about differential equations, you would need another method.

Hello : indeed the inequality is trict my beg. So the equation is true.
Anyway I was thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_existence_theorem .
With the condition ##\phi(x_{0}) = y_{0}##. But the theorem give a local solution.
Not on ##\mathbb{R}^{2}##. And I don't use ##f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0##.

Calabi said:
Hello : indeed the inequality is trict my beg. So the equation is true.
Anyway I was thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_existence_theorem .
With the condition ##\phi(x_{0}) = y_{0}##. But the theorem give a local solution.
Not on ##\mathbb{R}^{2}##. And I don't use ##f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0##.

Yes, you do use ##f(x_0,y_0) = 0##; do you see where?

In the Azela Peano theorem you just look for condition on ##\phi##. So I don't see.
And I still have a local solution.

So is there a general way to solve ##\phi'(x) = F(x, \phi(x))## on all ##\mathbb{R}^{2}## please?

If ##g : x \rightarrow f(x, \phi(x)) ## is nul with ##\phi(x_{0}) = y_{0}## then we get the equation you wroght.
If we got the equation you wroght then g is constant and as ##\phi(x_{0}) = y_{0}## and ##f(x_{0}, y_{0}) = 0## then g is constant.
But I still have a local solution.

1. What is a C^1 function?

A C^1 function, also known as a continuously differentiable function, is a function that has a continuous derivative. This means that the function is differentiable at every point in its domain and the derivative is also a continuous function.

2. How is a C^1 function different from a C^0 function?

A C^1 function is different from a C^0 function in that it has a continuous derivative, while a C^0 function only needs to be continuous. In other words, a C^1 function is a stronger condition than a C^0 function.

3. What are the practical applications of C^1 functions?

C^1 functions have many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as motion and change, and are also used in optimization problems, signal processing, and data analysis.

4. How do you determine if a function is C^1?

To determine if a function is C^1, you need to check if it is differentiable at every point in its domain and if the derivative is also continuous. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and checking for continuity using limits.

5. Can a function be C^1 but not C^2?

Yes, a function can be C^1 but not C^2. This means that the function is continuously differentiable, but its second derivative may not exist or may not be continuous. In general, a function can be C^n but not C^n+1.