Showing Coprime Sequence with q_1=3

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that any two elements of a sequence are coprime. The solution involves finding an integer combination of the two elements that equals 1. It is also mentioned that if a prime divides one element, it cannot divide the other.
Dragonfall
Let q_1=3, q_{n+1}=q_1...q_{n}-1. How do I show that any two elements of this sequence are coprime?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't actually think of a way of helping you without giving the answer. Let me try it this way: given q_i and q_j with i<j it is rather clear that there is an integer combination of them that is 1, that is there are integeres a and b with aq_i +bq_j =1 (and hence they are coprime). You have acutally written these integers a and b out explicitly in your own post.

Ah of course! I had forgotten about the converse of that theorem.

But it is even easier than that: if i<j and some prime divides q_i it cannot divide q_j, and vice versa. It all follows from just reducing that expression you gave mod any prime: if p a prime divides any q_i it cannot divide any other q_j.

1. What is a coprime sequence?

A coprime sequence is a sequence of numbers where each pair of numbers in the sequence are relatively prime, meaning they have no common factors other than 1. In other words, the greatest common divisor of any two numbers in the sequence is 1.

2. How is a coprime sequence shown using q1=3?

To show a coprime sequence using q1=3, we start by setting q1 equal to 3. Then, we generate the rest of the sequence by multiplying each term by 3 and adding 1. For example, if the first term is 3, the next term would be 3(3) + 1 = 10, and the third term would be 3(10) + 1 = 31, and so on.

3. What is the significance of using q1=3 in showing a coprime sequence?

The choice of q1=3 is significant because it ensures that every term in the sequence will be relatively prime to each other. This is because 3 is a prime number, and any number multiplied by a prime number will only have factors of 1 and itself.

4. How do you know if a sequence is coprime?

A sequence is coprime if all of its terms are relatively prime to each other. This means that the greatest common divisor of any two terms in the sequence is 1. One way to check this is by using the Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor of each pair of terms in the sequence.

5. Are all sequences with q1=3 coprime sequences?

No, not all sequences with q1=3 are coprime sequences. For example, the sequence 3, 6, 9, 12, ... is not a coprime sequence because every term is divisible by 3, meaning they are not relatively prime. To be a coprime sequence, each term must be relatively prime to every other term in the sequence.