Electric field from Skin Effect on a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a sharp pulse injected into a wire and the resulting external electric field produced. The skin depth of the current and the voltage potential of the pulse are important factors in determining the magnitude of the external electric field. The concept of eddy currents and their impact on the field is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for feedback and clarification on the topic.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am wondering if when a sharp pulse is injected into a piece of wire, if that piece of wire produces a radially directed external electric whose magnitude is proportional to the skin depth of the current into the wire and the voltage potential of the input pulse.

To elaborate more on this idea. I know that if you put a high frequency pulse, (say rise time of 1uS) that the pulse leading edge could be likened to a 1MHz signal traveling on the surface of the conductor. And the resulting current would have a skin depth of 76 um according to the calculator on this site: http://www.calculatoredge.com/electronics/skin effect.htm.

My question is, if you were to freeze the pulse while it were in the center of the wire and look at a cross section of the wire, would it appear that there is an electric field potential between the surface and the skin depth distance into the wire? So if the potential of the pulse were, say, 10V, would the potential between the surface and the skin-depth distance into the wire be 10V? If this is the case, one could calculate the internal electric field potential using the voltage potential and distance into the wire (I know I am making a LOT of assumptions here but bear with me).

I know that for an ideal conductor, the internal electric field has to be 0, so that would imply that there would have to be an external electric field that is equal and opposite of the internal one to balance it out? If this is true, then could one use the voltage of the pulse, and the skin depth to estimate what the magnitude of the external electric field induced from the pulse should be?

If I am way off base here, please let me know. Any comments greatly appreciated.

- Jason O

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To really understand skin effect, you must think about eddy currents. The eddy currents create opposing fields. The eddy current strength drains the deeper it penetrates into the conductor.
To describe it accurately, you need Maxwell's Equations.

What is Skin Effect?

Skin Effect is the phenomenon where the electromagnetic fields concentrate near the surface of a conductor, rather than being evenly distributed throughout the entire volume of the conductor. This occurs when high-frequency currents flow through a conductor, causing the current to be concentrated near the surface of the conductor.

How does Skin Effect impact the electric field on a wire?

Skin Effect causes the electric field on a wire to be strongest near the surface of the conductor, where the current is concentrated. This results in a higher resistance and a decrease in the effective cross-sectional area of the conductor, leading to a higher voltage drop and potential energy loss.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field from Skin Effect?

The strength of the electric field from Skin Effect is affected by the frequency of the current, the material and shape of the conductor, and the distance between adjacent conductors. Higher frequencies and non-circular conductors tend to have a stronger Skin Effect.

How can Skin Effect be minimized?

Skin Effect can be minimized by using a lower frequency current, using a conductor with a larger diameter, or by using multiple parallel conductors instead of a single conductor. In some cases, special coatings or techniques can also be used to reduce Skin Effect.

What are the practical applications of understanding the electric field from Skin Effect?

Understanding the electric field from Skin Effect is important in designing and optimizing high-frequency electronic circuits, as well as in the design of power transmission lines and other high-frequency applications. It also has implications in electromagnetic compatibility and interference between adjacent circuits or systems.