Solving an Electrical Engineering Challenge with a Tank of Electrolyte Liquid

In summary: One is connected to the positive terminal of the battery, the other is connected to the negative terminal. You can measure the voltage between the two probes.
Hraabo
TL;DR Summary
electrical engineering project.
So I am working on a project where I have a tank, which has a volume of electrolyte liquid inside it. This is coupled to a battery which charges it, and gives it energy. I will have a copperband arround it, so i can measure a potential voltage from the electrical field.

So what I need to figure out, is how to make numerical and analytical approach to this. Problem is, that I am stuck at this problem solving. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to start it? I need to see this problem from an electrical point of view, and not from a electric chemical point of view.

I was thinking of using Gauss' law in some way, but, what i know of it, we've used it in regards of wires and solid conductors, not tanks with electrolyte liquids, which makes me question the method.

hoping for some help or insight.

thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hraabo said:
So what I need to figure out, is how to make numerical and analytical approach to this.
What are you trying to do with the tank.
What is it about the tank of electrolyte you want to simulate or calculate?

In the end want to know what know what voltage I can expect to measure, if I put some sort of conductor around the tank.

Just off the top of my head, here are some suggestions to start with:

Step 1: Define everything you can about this problem; all of the materials, dimensions, external inputs, answers desired, etc.

Step 2: Make a drawing (engineering style, not art). This combined with step 1, should be able to fully explain the problem to someone else. The side benefit is that it will also explain it to yourself.

Step 3: This problem sounds like there may be simplifications or symmetries you can take advantage of. For example, if you get to design the tank, make it cylindrical, rectangular, etc. whatever will make the analysis easier. Make, if possible, and use symmetries to simplify the analysis. For example, you may see that the e-field on the left has to be the same as the e-field on the right.

Hraabo said:
In the end want to know what know what voltage I can expect to measure, if I put some sort of conductor around the tank.
The tank of electrolyte will need two electrodes to polarise it with an electric field. It is really an electrolytic capacitor. As the capacitor is first charged, a current will flow through the electrode connections, to the plates. An identical displacement current will flow as the electrolyte molecules align themselves to the field. That current will generate a magnetic field about the conductors and tank. We now come to an orientation question.

If the tank is a vertical axis cylinder, with flat plates at the top and the bottom, with the loop about the equator, half way between the plates, then there will be NO voltage induced in the copper loop since it is aligned with the circular magnetic field about the tank.

What other orientations are possible?
Will the circular magnetic field (generated by the displacement current), then pass through the loop, and so generate a voltage in the loop, or will it run parallel?

If the copper loop was replaced by a toroidal magnetic core, and a small coil wound about part of that core, you would get a voltage pulse when charging, or discharging the tank of electrolyte.

I think it is time for someone to draw a diagram.

Hraabo said:
Voltage with respect to what? Voltmeters have two probes.

1. How does a tank of electrolyte liquid help solve electrical engineering challenges?

A tank of electrolyte liquid is used in electrical engineering to store and regulate energy. This can help with challenges such as power outages or fluctuations in energy supply.

2. What type of electrolyte liquid is typically used in these tanks?

The most commonly used electrolyte liquid is sulfuric acid, although other types such as lithium-ion or lead-acid may also be used depending on the specific application.

3. Can a tank of electrolyte liquid be used for renewable energy sources?

Yes, a tank of electrolyte liquid can be used in conjunction with renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power. It can store excess energy generated during peak times and release it during times of low energy production.

4. How does the tank of electrolyte liquid regulate energy flow?

The electrolyte liquid acts as a medium for the transfer of ions between electrodes, creating a flow of electricity. The tank is designed with specific electrodes and separators to control this flow and regulate the amount of energy stored and released.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a tank of electrolyte liquid?

Yes, there are safety concerns with handling and storing electrolyte liquid due to its corrosive nature. Proper safety protocols and equipment must be used when working with these tanks to prevent accidents or injuries.