Most of the animals cannot laugh

• Thread starter peeyush_ali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary: According to a recent study, humans are the only species of animal that laughs - and the laughter we make is very similar to the laughter of our evolutionary cousins, the primates. The study was conducted by tickling various primates and recording the sounds they made. When they compared the sounds made by the various primates (including humans), they saw that the similarities matched up well with the evolutionary relationships of the species of primate (i.e. species that were more closely related genetically made similar sounding laughs). The paper can be found below along
peeyush_ali
Why human beings can laugh while most of the animals cannot laugh..??
What actually is "laughing phenomenon"??

Biology news on Phys.org

Laughing is primarily a social tool, and is only really used by humans, as our social communications are more subtle than most other animals'.

Last edited:
how tickled I am?

jamesb-uk said:
Laughing is primarily a social tool, and is only really used by humans, as our social communications are more subtle than other animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughter" says various primates…
Research has noted the similarity in forms of laughter among various primates (humans, gorillas, orang-utans...), suggesting that laughter derives from a common origin among primate species, and has subsequently evolved in each species.

Also "heavy" ticklishness is found only in primates …

I wonder whether laughter evolved from ticklishness?

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
various primates…
Sounds like interesting field work
Lemur - yes
Spider monkeys - yes
Chimps - no
Gorillas - oh dear, better get a new grad student

mgb_phys said:

Sorry :confused: … was that Grad student - yes, or Grad student - no ? :smile:

Many of my ferrets liked being tickled. Some would squirm and play-bite and some would "laugh" or do both. Ferrets make a "dook, dook" sound when they are playing with each other or humans or otherwise having a good time and I interpreted that has a "happy" noise that's as close as they get to laughing.

tiny-tim said:
Sorry :confused: … was that Grad student - yes, or Grad student - no ? :smile:
I'm picturing a far side cartoon - with a student approaching a large gorilla with a feather.

mgb_phys said:

mgb_phys said:
I'm picturing a far side cartoon - with a student approaching a large gorilla with a feather.

:rofl:

There was actually a study published recently where researchers (perhaps grad students) tickled various primates and recorded the sounds they made. When they compared the sounds made by the various primates (including humans), they saw that the similarities matched up well with the evolutionary relationships of the species of primate (i.e. species that were more closely related genetically made similar sounding laughs). The paper can be found below along with a link to a podcast discussing the research. Also, below is a link to a Radio Lab podcast discussing the science of laughter. In it, they talk to researchers who suggests that rat may display laughing behavior.

Davilla Ross M, Owren MJ, Zimmermann E. Reconstructing the Evolution of Laughter in Great Apes and Humans. Current Biology (2009) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2009.05.028

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200906054

http://blogs.wnyc.org/radiolab/2008/02/25/laughter/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why can't most animals laugh?

Most animals do not have the ability to laugh because it is a complex behavior that requires certain brain structures and cognitive abilities that many animals do not possess. Laughing also involves social and emotional components that may not be present in animals.

2. Which animals can laugh?

Some primates, such as chimpanzees and gorillas, have been observed exhibiting laughter-like behaviors. Dolphins and rats have also been found to make vocalizations that resemble laughter. However, it is still debated whether these vocalizations are truly expressions of joy or just reflexive responses.

3. Can animals experience emotions without laughing?

Yes, many animals are capable of experiencing emotions such as joy, fear, and sadness without the ability to laugh. They may express these emotions through other behaviors, such as wagging their tail or making vocalizations.

4. Is laughing a learned behavior or instinctual?

Laughing is believed to be a learned behavior that is influenced by social and cultural factors. While some animals may have a genetic predisposition to certain behaviors, the ability to laugh is not thought to be one of them.

5. Are there any benefits to animals being able to laugh?

This is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some argue that laughter can serve as a social bonding mechanism and help with communication between animals. Others believe that animals do not need laughter to thrive and survive in their natural habitats.