Finding change in concentration over change in time

In summary, the question is asking for the change in concentration of NO2 over time in a reaction that occurs at a rate of 0.88 mol · L−1· s−1 in a 4.00 liter vessel. The answer is simply 0.88 mol · L−1· s−1, doubled due to the mole ratio.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

At a certain temperature, the reaction 2NO2(g) --> 2NO(g) + O2(g) progresses in a 4.00 liter vessel at a rate of 0.88 mol · L−1· s−1. What is

[tex]\Delta[/tex][NO2]
[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

under these conditions?
Answer in units of mol · L−1· s−1.

Homework Equations

C = n/v
...?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not at all sure where to start with this one. My only work with mol/Ls was finding the rate that a product was made compared to the reactant. Could I get a starting point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I have no idea what the question is about. The way you worded it you are asked about speed and you are told what the speed is. Seems to me like the answer is just 0.88 mol L-1 s-1.

--
methods

Bleh, that was too simple. All you had to do was double it due to the mole ratio.

1. What is the formula for finding change in concentration over change in time?

The formula for finding change in concentration over change in time is (final concentration - initial concentration) / (final time - initial time).

2. How is change in concentration over change in time used in scientific research?

Change in concentration over change in time is commonly used in scientific research to determine the rate of a chemical reaction or the speed of a process. It can also be used to study the dynamics of biological systems, such as the growth of cells or the metabolism of a drug in the body.

3. What units are typically used for change in concentration over change in time?

The units for change in concentration over change in time depend on the specific situation and the units of concentration and time being used. However, commonly used units include moles per liter per second (mol/L/s) or grams per liter per hour (g/L/h).

4. How does temperature affect change in concentration over change in time?

Temperature can have a significant impact on change in concentration over change in time. In general, higher temperatures can lead to faster reactions and a larger change in concentration over a given time period. This is because higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of molecules, allowing them to collide more frequently and with more force, leading to a higher reaction rate.

5. Are there any limitations to using change in concentration over change in time?

While change in concentration over change in time can be a useful tool in scientific research, it is important to recognize its limitations. This calculation assumes that the change in concentration is linear over time, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not accurately reflect the true rate of a reaction if other factors, such as catalysts or inhibitors, are present. It is important to carefully consider the experimental design and potential sources of error when using this calculation.