Calculating DC Cable Loss for Solar System Design

In summary, the speaker is working on a solar system design and has encountered a problem with DC cable loss. They are looking for a formula to calculate the loss and are seeking clarification on how to do so. They also mention the importance of using a copper cable and provide a suggestion to seek help from an electrical engineering forum. They also give some tips on how to calculate the cable loss, including squaring the current and finding the wire gauge. They suggest using online wire resistance calculators to ensure accuracy.
wfl6
I'm doing the solar system design now .

so far seem like everything is on track,
but now i face a problem on the DC cable loss.

is that has any formula to calculate the dc cable loss,
i has using this formula is
(losses of the cable (Ω/km)x length X current produce by the solar panel (A))

Pls help me to clarify this .

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe take this to the Electrical Engineering forum.

DC cable loss depends on what the cable is made out of (copper, i hope) which determines the "conductivity" and its cross section area and length.

P = I^2 R
You need to square the current in your equation above to get the power lost. Your equation will give you the voltage drop in the cable, since V = I R

wfl6
First find out what your wire gauge is (AWG).
There are a bunch of wire resistance calculators online. Search for AWG+resistance+calculator. Use at least two of them and make sure you get same answer.

for your question. Calculating DC cable loss for solar system design is an important step in ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of your solar system. The formula you have mentioned is a good starting point for calculating the cable loss. However, there are a few other factors that should also be taken into consideration.

Firstly, the type and size of the cable being used can affect its resistance and therefore the amount of loss. Thicker cables generally have lower resistance, resulting in less loss. Additionally, the temperature of the cable and the ambient temperature can also impact its resistance and therefore the loss.

Furthermore, the voltage drop across the cable should also be considered. This is important because a higher voltage drop can lead to a decrease in the power output of your solar system. The voltage drop can be calculated using the formula: (cable resistance x current) / (cable length x voltage).

To accurately calculate the DC cable loss, it is recommended to use a cable size calculator or consult with a professional who has experience in solar system design. They can help you determine the appropriate cable size and length for your specific system, taking into account all the necessary variables.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation of DC cable loss for your solar system design. It's important to ensure that all factors are taken into consideration to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of your solar system. Best of luck with your design!

1. How do I calculate DC cable loss for a solar system?

To calculate DC cable loss for a solar system, you will need to know the total length of the cable, the cable's gauge or diameter, and the current flowing through the cable. You can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage drop due to the cable resistance. This voltage drop can then be converted to a percentage of the system voltage to determine the cable loss.

2. What is the formula for calculating DC cable loss?

The formula for calculating DC cable loss is: (2 x length x current x resistance) / (cable cross-sectional area x system voltage)

3. How does cable length affect DC cable loss?

The longer the cable length, the greater the DC cable loss. This is because longer cables have higher resistance, which results in a higher voltage drop and therefore a higher loss.

4. What is the impact of cable gauge on DC cable loss?

The cable gauge or diameter directly affects the resistance of the cable. A larger gauge cable has a lower resistance, resulting in a lower DC cable loss. It is important to choose an appropriate cable gauge based on the system voltage and current to minimize cable loss.

5. Can I reduce DC cable loss in a solar system?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce DC cable loss in a solar system. One way is to use thicker gauge cables with lower resistance. Another way is to minimize the cable length by placing the solar panels and inverter closer together. Additionally, using a higher system voltage can also help reduce cable loss.