A simple non latching,I.R.switch to supply 90 ma .

• Thread starter elvism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supply
In summary, the speaker has created an onboard uncoupling device for their model railway using a circuit from a toy helicopter. They are seeking a suitable circuit to make themselves, using a 3.7v battery and a coil that draws 90 mA for 3 seconds at a range of 1-2 metres. They also ask if a laser pointer can be used as a remote control, and suggest using a photodiode sensor, comparator, and relay if possible.
elvism
I have made an onboard uncoupling device for my model railway,It works perfectly using the circuit from a toy helicopter.Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit to make myself?
I wish to use a 3.7v battery and the device uses a coil drawing 90 mA for 3 seconds from 1-2 metres range.

Engineering news on Phys.org
elvism said:
I have made an onboard uncoupling device for my model railway,It works perfectly using the circuit from a toy helicopter.Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit to make myself?
I wish to use a 3.7v battery and the device uses a coil drawing 90 mA for 3 seconds from 1-2 metres range.

Can you use a laser pointer as the remote control? If so, then just a photodiode sensor, a comparator, and the relay should be able to do it.

What is a non-latching I.R. switch and how does it work?

A non-latching I.R. switch is an infrared (I.R.) controlled switch that does not require a continuous power supply to remain in a particular state. It works by using an infrared sensor to detect changes in the surrounding environment, such as when an object or person moves in front of it.

What is the purpose of a non-latching I.R. switch?

A non-latching I.R. switch is commonly used in applications where a brief activation or deactivation of a circuit is needed, such as turning on a light or triggering an alarm. It can also be used as a safety feature to prevent continuous power supply to a device in case of malfunction.

How much current can a non-latching I.R. switch supply?

The non-latching I.R. switch in this scenario is designed to supply a current of 90 mA (milliamps), which is suitable for low-power electronic devices.

What are the advantages of using a non-latching I.R. switch?

One major advantage of a non-latching I.R. switch is its low power consumption, as it only activates when the sensor detects changes in the environment. It is also compact, easy to install, and can be used in a variety of applications.

Can a non-latching I.R. switch be used for high-power devices?

No, a non-latching I.R. switch is not suitable for high-power devices as it is designed to supply a maximum current of 90 mA. Using it for high-power devices can lead to overheating and potential damage to the switch or the device.