Related rates with circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a Calculus problem involving a Ferris Wheel with a radius of 10 m and a rotation time of 2 minutes. The solution involves taking the derivative of the equation of a circle and using trigonometric functions to find the speed from the ground 16 m up. The forum user offers advice to double check calculations and units.
Dougggggg

Homework Statement

I was really struggling with a Calculus problem but I think I have the right answer, this is more just checking with someone than anything.

When given a Ferris Wheel has a radius of 10 m, and that it takes 2 minutes for one rotation, find how fast it is moving from the ground 16 m up.

Homework Equations

x2+y2 = r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by taking the derivative of the equation of a circle.

2x [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] + 2y [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = 0

sin

Then used some trig to solve for [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex]x

I made a triangle with my x and y values in respect to the center of the Ferris Wheel. I also then need to account for my y value being from there and not the ground, so I now use 6 m.

-sin[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

-rsin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Also, could find [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\pi[/tex]

Finally solved for [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

x([tex]\pi[/tex]rsin[tex]\theta[/tex])=y[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]=8[tex]\pi[/tex]

Yes, no, maybe so?

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you are on the right track with your solution. However, I would suggest double checking your calculations and units to make sure they are correct. It's always a good idea to go through your solution step by step to ensure accuracy. It's also helpful to include units in your final answer. Overall, your approach seems sound and I believe you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!

What is the concept of related rates in circular motion?

The concept of related rates in circular motion involves determining the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity, where both quantities are related by a circular motion. This is typically done by using the chain rule from calculus.

How do you find the rate of change in circular motion?

To find the rate of change in circular motion, we need to use the chain rule to differentiate the equations that describe the circular motion. This will give us the relationship between the rates of change of different variables involved in the circular motion.

What are some real-world applications of related rates with circular motion?

Related rates with circular motion can be applied to various real-world situations, such as the motion of a tire on a car, the motion of a Ferris wheel, or the rotation of a satellite around a planet. It can also be used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects in circular paths.

What are the main challenges in solving related rates problems with circular motion?

The main challenges in solving related rates problems with circular motion include identifying the relevant variables and equations, understanding the relationships between these variables, and properly applying the chain rule to differentiate the equations. Additionally, setting up and solving the resulting equations can also be challenging.

How can related rates with circular motion be visualized or represented?

Related rates with circular motion can be visualized or represented graphically using a polar coordinate system, where the circular motion is represented by a graph of radius versus time. It can also be represented using vectors and vector calculus, where the direction and magnitude of the velocity and acceleration vectors can be determined at different points on the circular path.