Linear Algebra: Coordinate system corresponding to the basis

In summary, the question asks for a sketch of the coordinate system [a,b] in the xy-plane, corresponding to the basis {(1,1), (1,-1)}, by drawing the lines a=0, ±1 and b=0, ±1. The point (a,b) = (1,2) corresponds to the vector (3,-1) in the original coordinate system. The lines in the provided answer correspond to the lines y=±x, since the basis given only explains the lines that go through (1,1) and (-1,1).
RyanV

Homework Statement

In the xy-plane, sketch the coordinate system [ a; b] corresponding to the basis
{ (1, 1 ) , (1, -1) } by drawing the lines a = 0, [tex]\pm[/tex]1 and b = 0, [tex]\pm[/tex]1. What point in the xy-plan corresponds to a = 1, b = 2?

Homework Equations

Not sure of any in this case

The Attempt at a Solution

I just stared at this Q in total blank.
After couple minutes, I tried to place the a and b coordinates like they were x and y coordinates respectively, and then line them up according to which one was a = 0, a = 1. Once again, had no clue what I was doing.

Had a look at the answer provided, and it looked like the attached provided. Tried to make heads and tails of it but doesn't really make much sense to me..

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! =D

Attachments

• tute10q1ians.jpg
    tute10q1ians.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 330
Physics news on Phys.org
A basis a linear combination of vectors which are linearly independent (meaning if you have n of them, you cannot add/subtract n-1 of them to get the last one) and which span (can be used to define) a given space. In this case we have R(2) (or E(2), depending on whatever notation you use).

Normally in R(2) we use the simple I (1,0) and J (0,1) vectors, which are linearly independent, but now we want to use a different system, (a,b) which also "spans" R(2) (dot (1, 1 ) , (1, -1) and it will equal zero). So we can relate these two systems because they span the same space.

x(1,0)+y(0,1)=a(1,1)+b(1,-1)

a=1, b=2
1(1,1)+2(1,-1) = (1+2, 1-2)= (3,-1) = x(1,0)+ y(0,1)

we can easily see x will be the first part of the vector (3,-1) and y will be the second part, so the (x,y) = (3,-1)

hope that helped!

ahh, I see. thanks...that part of the question does make sense now.

But I'm still unsure of the drawing of the lines...If you have a look at the lines that are drawn in the answer, how did they come to that? I'm thinking of the basis that was given, but from where I stand, it only explains the lines that kinda go y = [tex]\pm[/tex] x since B = { (1,1), (-1,1) }.
Unless of course, my thinking is not correct.

Thanks again =)

What is a coordinate system in linear algebra?

A coordinate system in linear algebra is a set of axes or directions used to represent points or vectors in a vector space. It is composed of a set of basis vectors that form the axes, and a set of coordinates that represent the position of a point or vector in relation to the basis.

What is a basis in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The basis is used to define the coordinate system for the vector space.

How do I find the coordinates of a vector in a given basis?

To find the coordinates of a vector in a given basis, you can use the process of coordinate transformation. This involves expressing the vector as a linear combination of the basis vectors, and then solving the resulting system of equations to find the coordinates.

Can there be more than one coordinate system for a vector space?

Yes, there can be multiple coordinate systems for a vector space. This is because different sets of basis vectors can be used to define different coordinate systems for the same vector space. However, all coordinate systems for a given vector space must be consistent with the same set of basis vectors.

What is the relationship between the basis and the coordinate system?

The basis and the coordinate system are closely related in linear algebra. The basis vectors are used to form the axes of the coordinate system, and the coordinates are used to represent the position of a vector in relation to the basis. The basis vectors and coordinates are used together to define the vector space and perform operations on vectors within that space.