Kinetic Energy Lost in Crumple Zones

In summary, the question is about finding the amount of energy lost due to heat and sound during a collision between a car and a wall. The car's initial and final kinetic energy must be known, and the mass after the impact is necessary for the calculation. The car does not continue moving after the collision, as the crumple zone is designed to stop the car.
Physics_Student101
Hi guys, i am working on a problem involving crumple zones, and i was wondering which formula would be best suited to discover the amount of energy lost due to heat and sound, during a collision between a car and a wall

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the car's initial kinetic energy? What is the car's kinetic energy after the collision? What do you think happened to all the missing energy?

how do i work out the cars kenetic energy after the impact if its only hitting a wall, do i make an assumption about its mass after the impact or am i able to work it out and is the mass after the impact even necessary

Hint: How fast is the car going after its collision with the wall?

id say 0, I am assuming all of the kinetic energy is absorbed by the wall, is that possible or does the car have to continue moving ?

"id say 0, I am assuming all of the kinetic energy is absorbed by the wall, is that possible or does the car have to continue moving ?"

It's not only possible, it's certain. The whole point of a "crumple zone" is to stop the car!

You also asked "do i make an assumption about its mass after the impact or am i able to work it out and is the mass after the impact even necessary?"

Yes, the mass after the impact is necessary since kinetic energy = (1/2)m v2. Even if the car fell apart, you would still use the entire car in the calculation! Why would its mass change at all?

So: you know the car's speed and mass and therefore kinetic energy before the collision. You know the car's speed and mass and therefore kinetic energy after the collision. What happened to the energy the car lost?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on both the mass and velocity of the object.

What are crumple zones?

Crumple zones are sections of a vehicle that are designed to absorb and dissipate kinetic energy in the event of a collision. They are typically located in the front and rear of the vehicle and are made of materials that can deform and crumple upon impact.

How do crumple zones reduce kinetic energy?

Crumple zones reduce kinetic energy by increasing the distance over which deceleration occurs in a collision. By extending the duration of the impact, the force on the vehicle and its occupants is reduced, thereby reducing the amount of kinetic energy that must be absorbed.

Do all vehicles have crumple zones?

No, not all vehicles have crumple zones. However, most modern cars are designed with crumple zones as a safety feature to protect the occupants in the event of a collision.

Are crumple zones effective in reducing injuries?

Yes, crumple zones have been shown to be highly effective in reducing injuries in car accidents. By absorbing and dissipating kinetic energy, they help to decrease the amount of force that is transmitted to the occupants of the vehicle, reducing the risk of serious injury or death.