Calculate Crumple Zone Rigidty?

• Thread starter AJ22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy after a collision using the equation FcosxΔd = ΔEk. The angle in the equation is determined to be cos180 degrees = -1 and the crumple zone rigidity is calculated to be 691Kn. It is mentioned that in practice, the crumple zone rigidity may be measured by squeezing it with a hydraulic ram.
AJ22
Homework Statement
Given the change in kinetic energy and distance, find the constant force needed in the crumple zone to stop the vehicle.
Relevant Equations
Work Energy Theorem: W = ΔEk
W = FcosxΔd
The vehicle comes to a stop after the collision so my kinetic energy is equal to (2000kg)(22m/s)2 / 2.
(Ekfinal -Ekinital)
I used the equation FcosxΔd = ΔEk. Knowing that the kinetic energy is -484000J and the length of the crumple zone is 0.70m, I can substitute those values into the equation.
Fcosx(0.70) = -484000.
My question is what would be the angle in the equation of W = FcosxΔd. During a collision the force from a wall acts in the opposite direction from the force of the crumple zone? So the angle is cos180 degrees = -1. Is this right?
So the constant force would then be F = -484000/-0.70 = 691Kn?
That means this number is also the crumple zone rigidity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that how crumple zone rigidity is calculated??

AJ22 said:
Is that how crumple zone rigidity is calculated??
In practice? I don’t know. It might be measured simply by squeezing it with a hydraulic ram.

Related to Calculate Crumple Zone Rigidty?

1. What is a crumple zone?

A crumple zone is a structural feature in a vehicle that is designed to absorb and dissipate energy during a collision. It is typically located in the front and rear of the vehicle and is made of materials that can deform and crumple upon impact, thereby reducing the force of the collision on the occupants.

2. How is crumple zone rigidity calculated?

Crumple zone rigidity is typically calculated by measuring the amount of force required to deform the material in the crumple zone. This is often done through crash tests or computer simulations using advanced engineering software.

3. Why is crumple zone rigidity important?

Crumple zone rigidity is important because it directly affects the amount of force that is transmitted to the occupants during a collision. A more rigid crumple zone can absorb more energy and reduce the severity of the impact, potentially reducing the risk of injury to the occupants.

4. How does crumple zone rigidity vary between different vehicles?

Crumple zone rigidity can vary greatly between different vehicles, as it is dependent on factors such as the design, materials used, and manufacturing process. Generally, larger and heavier vehicles tend to have more rigid crumple zones, as they have more mass to absorb the impact force.

5. Can crumple zone rigidity be improved?

Yes, crumple zone rigidity can be improved through advancements in materials and design. Engineers are constantly working to improve the safety of vehicles by developing stronger and more efficient crumple zones that can better protect occupants during collisions.