No matter what you do you still do it

• Medical
  • Thread starter venger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in controlling habits, specifically nail biting. The individual wonders why people develop such habits and how they can be prevented. The suggestion is made to address the underlying stressor that triggers the behavior, and if that fails, using deterrents such as painting something on the nails. The conversation also mentions the challenge of finding a suitable substitute for the habit, and the comparison to addiction. The speaker shares their personal experience with controlling OCD and substance abuse, emphasizing the importance of self-control.
venger
No matter what i do to prevent something that i am in control of i still do it. For example, biting nails... Why do people get such habits and how can it be controlled? I say that i won't bite my nails over and over. Although, until that moment is gone i end up biting my nails. What is the cause and how can I prevent it?

Biology news on Phys.org
You could address the underlying stressor that's triggering the activity.

Failing that, there's stuff you can paint on them to discourage biting.

a lack of an appropriate substitute, perhaps.

like gaming, you can't just simply stop once u're addicted, you are too much used to the same thing.

try sucking your thumb or a lolly (hardly any better though i think :P)

OCD and substance abuse run in my family. I've had trouble with both, and I got over it. Like everything else, it's only a matter of self control. Explaining it away as a habbit or a problem does nothing but excuse your behavior.

1. What does "no matter what you do you still do it" mean?

The phrase "no matter what you do you still do it" means that regardless of the actions or efforts one takes, the result or outcome will remain the same.

2. Is this phrase a scientific concept?

No, this phrase is not a scientific concept. It is a common saying or proverb that is used to convey a sense of inevitability or futility.

3. Can this phrase be applied in a scientific context?

Yes, this phrase can be applied in a scientific context, particularly in the field of genetics. It is often used to explain the concept of genetic determinism, where an individual's genes ultimately determine their traits and behaviors, regardless of external factors.

4. Is this phrase always true?

No, this phrase is not always true. While there are certain situations where one's actions may not change the outcome, there are also many instances where actions and efforts can make a significant difference.

5. How can we use this phrase in our daily lives?

This phrase can be used as a reminder to accept things we cannot change and focus on what we can control. It can also serve as a motivation to keep trying and not give up, even when the outcome seems predetermined.