How Long Does It Take for Charge to Reach 1/e of Maximum in an RC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the time for the charge on a capacitor's plates to reach 1/e of its maximum value while being charged through a 123 Ohm resistor and then discharged through the same resistor by short-circuiting the battery. The equation q = Q_final[1-e^(-t/RC)] is used to solve the problem by first finding the maximum charge value (q_max) and then replacing q with q_max*1/e in the same equation to calculate the time required. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to approach the problem and the difficulty the person is having with it. After some help and clarification, they are able to solve the problem.
auslmar

Homework Statement

A 1.47 micro F capacitor is charged through a 123 Ohm resistor and then discharged through the same resistor by short-circuiting the battery.

While the capacitor is being charged, find the time for the charge on its plates to reach 1/e of its maximum value.

Homework Equations

q = Q_final[1-e^(-t/RC)], (q)/(Q_final) = [1-e^(-t/RC)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, forgive my ignorance.

Well, I know that when charging an RC-circuit, the current decreases exponentially with time and the charge on the capacitor increases with time as the capacitor charges. Using the above equation, I assume we should be able to calculate a time constant, when t = RC, so that the charge would be 1-1/e of its final value. Though this will probably be straightforward to everyone else here, it's still not clear for me how to approach this. If I straightforwardly find the product of the capacitance and resistance, I'm only finding the aforementioned 1-1/e of the maximum value, correct? I'm beginning to become very muddled about this problem, and I can't tell if I'm fudging the the math (perhaps I just need an Algebra problem-solving review), or if my conception of the problem is way off. If anyone can provide a suggestions or hints as of how to approach this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I apologize if this has been a waste of your time.

Thanks,

Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, they're asking you to find 1/e of qmax. If you look at the equation you've typed out, the max value is when t is infinity (or a very large amount of time compared to the rest of the quantities). This gives you qmax.

Then replace q by qmax*1/e in the same equation and calculate the time required from that.

chaoseverlasting said:
First off, they're asking you to find 1/e of qmax. If you look at the equation you've typed out, the max value is when t is infinity (or a very large amount of time compared to the rest of the quantities). This gives you qmax.

Then replace q by qmax*1/e in the same equation and calculate the time required from that.

Okay. Would this mean that q_max and Q_final are equal? I'm inclined to say no because I keep reaching the same (wrong) calculation. I can't figure out any way to find them without eliminating them from both sides of the equation. I keep getting that t=RC, which I know is wrong. What am I not understanding?

Thanks for your help, I finally figured it out. I think I was just miscalculating and making some stupid mistakes.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and create a time delay.

2. How does charging an RC circuit work?

When an RC circuit is connected to a power source, such as a battery, the capacitor begins to charge. The resistor limits the flow of current, causing the capacitor to charge gradually. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases, while the voltage across the resistor decreases.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C) in the circuit. The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ, is equal to RC.

4. How long does it take for an RC circuit to fully charge?

The amount of time it takes for an RC circuit to fully charge depends on the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit. The larger the resistance or capacitance, the longer it will take for the capacitor to charge. The time constant (RC) also affects the charging time.

5. What happens after the capacitor in an RC circuit is fully charged?

Once the capacitor in an RC circuit is fully charged, no more current can flow through the circuit. This is because the capacitor acts as an open circuit when fully charged. However, the capacitor will continue to hold the charge until it is discharged or the power source is removed.