TIme needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge

In summary: D-5+to+5In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a capacitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge. Using the equation 2/3Qf = Qf(1-e^-t/RC), we can solve for t by removing Qf from both sides and rearranging the terms. Additionally, e^-t/Tau is always positive because it is equal to 1/(e^t/Tau).
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
how much time elapses for the capicitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge?
Relevant Equations
e^-t/Tau
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.29.42 AM.png

I am a little lost on the last step of this problem. I get that we want to know how much time elapses for the capacitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge. That is why 2/3Qf is equal to Qf(1-e^-t/RC).

I don't understand how we make the jump to e^-t/Tau is equal to 1/3? and then somehow e^-t/Tau is positive.

Could someone explain these steps to me?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: how much time elapses for the capicitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge?
Relevant Equations:: e^-t/Tau

View attachment 291407

I am a little lost on the last step of this problem. I get that we want to know how much time elapses for the capacitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge. That is why 2/3Qf is equal to Qf(1-e^-t/RC).

I don't understand how we make the jump to e^-t/Tau is equal to 1/3? and then somehow e^-t/Tau is positive.

Could someone explain these steps to me?
That step is just a little basic algebra. They left out a couple steps. Start with ##\frac{2}{3} Q_f =Q_f(1-e^{-t/\tau})## and solve for t.

Likes SammyS and DaveE
Answering your first question, remove Qf from both sides, and then just rearrange terms. ( I assume that you are familiar with that).
As regards your second question: e^-t/Tau= 1/(e^t/Tau) so it will be always positive.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+e^-x

1. How does the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge depend on the capacitor's properties?

The time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge depends on the capacitance and resistance of the capacitor. A higher capacitance or lower resistance will result in a shorter time needed for the capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge?

The formula for calculating the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge is t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

3. Can the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge be reduced?

Yes, the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge can be reduced by increasing the voltage or using a capacitor with a higher capacitance. Additionally, using a lower resistance can also decrease the time needed.

4. How does the initial charge of a capacitor affect the time needed to reach a fraction of its final charge?

The initial charge of a capacitor does not affect the time needed to reach a fraction of its final charge. The time needed is solely dependent on the capacitance and resistance of the capacitor.

5. Is the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge the same for all types of capacitors?

No, the time needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge can vary for different types of capacitors. This is because different types of capacitors have different capacitance and resistance values, which will affect the time needed according to the formula t = RC.