Limit of a sequence with n as a variable, and to the power of n

In summary, the problem is asking to find the limits of the sequence {((n-1)/n)^n} and {((n-1)/n)^n} as n approaches infinity. The first sequence can be rewritten as 1/(1+1/(n-1))^n, which approaches 1/e as n goes to infinity. This means that the limit of the first sequence is 1/e. The second sequence can be solved using l'Hopital's rule or by taking the log and rearranging it into a form that can be evaluated using the known limit of (1+x/n)^n approaching e^x. Therefore, the limit of the second sequence also approaches 1/e.
CrystalEyes

Homework Statement

Find the limits of the following sequences, if they exist. Justify your answers.

{([tex]\frac{n-1}{n} [/tex] )[tex]^{n}[/tex]}[tex] ^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] or maybe [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(\frac{n-1}{n} )^{n}[/tex] is clearer?

Homework Equations

I know the whole part that it's a sequence doesn't really matter, that I'm just finding the limit as n [tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] but that's not so easy...

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit of that (sorry I'm too lazy to retype it) equals the [limit (as n approaches infinity) of ((n-1)/n) ] ^n by the "limit laws" if you want to call them that (the whole think to the nth degree including the limit, sorry if this is really confusing, I'm new to the equation insert thing) but I'm kind of stuck. Because if you evaluate just ((n-1)/n) you end up with infinity over infinity, and it's not something to some other variable that the power is being taken, it's to the same variable, "n", which should be going to infinity anyways, so I'm quite stuck! please help? and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[(n-1)/n]^n=1/[1+1/(n-1)]^n
a well known limit since for large n
1+1/(n-1)~exp[1/(n-1)]

The limit has the form 1^infinity. Can't you use l'Hopital's rule on it? If you find the limit exists and is nonzero you don't have to worry about the series, it will diverge.

Dick said:
The limit has the form 1^infinity. Can't you use l'Hopital's rule on it? If you find the limit exists and is nonzero you don't have to worry about the series, it will diverge.

I didn't think i could because the whole thing is to the power of n, but i guess i wasn't thinking straight? Anyways, thanks again for the help I was just studying for my calc2 exam tomorrow and came across this one

If you take the log, you can turn it into a 0/0 form that you can apply l'Hopital to. Or if you already know that lim (1+x/n)^n=e^x, you can rearrange it into that form.

1. What is a limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n?

A limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n is the value that the sequence approaches as n gets larger and larger. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to understand the behavior of functions and sequences.

2. How is the limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n calculated?

The limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n can be calculated by using the limit laws and rules of exponents. These involve manipulating the expression to simplify it and then evaluating the limit as n approaches infinity.

3. What does it mean if the limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n is infinity?

If the limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n is infinity, it means that the sequence is growing without bound and there is no finite value that it approaches. This can happen when the exponent n is larger than 1, leading to an exponential growth of the sequence.

4. Can the limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n be negative?

Yes, the limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n can be negative. This can happen if the sequence alternates between positive and negative values as n increases, or if the exponent n is negative, leading to an alternating sequence with negative values.

5. How is the limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n used in real-world applications?

The limit of a sequence with n as a variable and to the power of n is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. It helps us understand how these quantities change over time and how they approach a steady state or equilibrium value.